Chicken and Noodle Casserole is the perfect easy dinner recipe for busy weeknights and it will quickly become a family favorite meal. We love it! It's made with simple ingredients and all you need is 30 minutes to get dinner on the table.
This classic Chicken Noodle Casserole is made with chicken, egg noodles, mixed vegetables, a creamy sauce and it is topped with buttery bread crumbs. Pure comfort food!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy - If you have leftover cooked chicken you can assemble and make this recipe in 30 minutes! This is what I make anytime I need to use up leftover chicken.
- Family Friendly - Picky eaters will love this recipe and it's easy to change it up using vegetables that your family likes. Kids love noodles with a creamy sauce!
- One-Pot Meal - This casserole has meat, vegetables and pasta. It's an all in one dish for an easy meal your whole family will love!
Casseroles are a great way to clean out your fridge by using up the left over meat and vegetables. Food doesn't go to waste and you get a delicious meal out of it.
It's also a great choice for taking to a potluck or when hosting family and friends at your home. It's a simple chicken casserole recipe to put together so it always you more time to socialize. I call that a win - good food and company!
If you love easy casserole recipes like we do, a few of our favorites you might want to try include this Beef Noodle Casserole, Tater Tot Casserole, Easy Hamburger Potato Casserole and Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Egg Noodles - I like to use medium to wide egg noodles. Use your favorite brand.
- Cooked Chicken - I like to use up any leftover chicken in this recipe. Baked, boiled, grilled, or rotisserie chicken work great in this casserole. Canned chicken is another option.
- Soups - In this recipe I use a can of cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup. You can use store-bought or make your own.
- Sour Cream - Add flavor and creaminess to casserole.
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables - I typically buy the bad of frozen mixed vegetables that contains corn, green beans and carrots.
- Milk - I like to use whole milk but 2% milk works also.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - I do use store bought shredded cheese when I am short on time but I prefer to grate the cheese myself because it melts better.
- Topping - Bread Crumbs and Melted Butter make a delicious topping for this casserole.
- Optional Seasonings - For more flavor you can add some garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- Make It Spicy: Add in some diced jalapeno's and diced green chiles and use pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar cheese. Use cooked chicken that was seasoned with spices such as smoked paprika, chili powder and cumin.
- Change Topping: If you don't have Bread Crumbs on hand you can replace them with crushed Ritz crackers or club crackers.
- Swap The Meat: Turkey is a great swap for the chicken in this recipe. You can even use Tofu in place of the chicken if you want to go meatless.
How To Make Chicken and Noodle Casserole
- Prepare: Preheat oven to 350º and coat a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- Cook Noodles: Cook egg noodles according to package directions for al dente then drain. Pour into casserole dish.
- Make The Creamy Sauce: In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, soups, sour cream, vegetables, milk, and cheese. Stir until mixed together.
- Assemble: Pour sauce over the cooked noodles in baking pan and mix everything together.
- Add Topping: Sprinkle the top of casserole with bread crumbs. Then Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake: Bake for 20 minutes, until breadcrumbs are toasty and casserole is bubbly.
How To Store
Store baked Chicken Noodle Casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave and you can add a little milk if needed.
- Cooked Chicken - Make sure your chicken is already cooked before adding to the casserole. Baked, boiled, grilled, or rotisserie chicken work great in this recipe. You can also use canned chicken if that is all you have on hand.
- Avoid Overcooking - Don't over cook the noodles or they will be too soft and mushy. Cook according to the package directions for al dente.
- Add More Flavor - For extra depth of flavor add in some sautéed celery and onions.
- Soups - This recipes calls for cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup. Another great combination that I like to use is cream of chicken soup and cream of celery soup. Either combination makes a delicious sauce for the casserole.
- Lower Sodium - If you are watching your sodium intake you can use the low sodium version of the cream soups.
Yes! Do not add raw chicken to the casserole. This recipe calls for pre-cooked chicken. A rotisserie chicken is an easy shortcut or you can bake, boil or grill chicken to use in this dish.
No, you do not add any water to the soup. The sauce is made by combining the soups with milk and sour cream. Any additional water would be too much liquid.
Stay Connected! Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for the latest recipes.
I hope you enjoy this easy Chicken and Noodle Casserole recipe! If you try it, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Chicken And Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 10.5 ounces can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 10.5 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350º and coat a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions for al dente then drain. Pour into casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken, soups, sour cream, vegetables, milk, and cheese. Stir until mixed together.
- Pour sauce over the noodles in baking pan and mix everything together.
- Sprinkle the top of casserole with bread crumbs. Then Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until breadcrumbs are toasty and casserole is bubbly.