This delicious Beef and Noodle Casserole is made with eight simple ingredients and is a quick and easy dinner that is done in 30 minutes! It's a hearty old-fashioned dinner that the whole family will love.
Made with egg noodles that are mixed together with seasoned ground beef, tomato sauce, cream of mushroom soup and topped with cheddar cheese before being baked to perfection.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Delicious: Who doesn’t love the delicious combination of beef and egg noodles? Whether you’re serving your family dinner after a busy work day or making a Sunday night meal, you can’t go wrong with this classic comfort food that even picky eaters love!
- Easy To Make: All you need are a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of prep work to make this hearty meal for your family. That’s why this easy casserole will quickly become a family favorite you'll want to add to your regular dinner rotation.
- Budget Friendly: This recipe is not only easy to make, it's also budget friendly. It uses everyday ingredients and pantry staples that you probably already have on hand.
If you are making your weekly meal plan and need a few easy meals to add here are a few of our favorite recipes. We love this Hamburger Potato Casserole, Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Tater Tot Casserole With Ground Beef and Cheesy Potatoes Casserole. And this Pizza Pasta Bake is always a hit with the kids and adults!
You are going to love the simple ingredient list in this recipe! In fact, you may have everything you need to make this quick casserole in your kitchen right now.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Egg noodles - You can use wide egg noodles or regular egg noodles.
- Ground beef - I like to use lean ground beef.
- Onion, Garlic and Italian Seasoning - Adds extra flavor to the casserole.
- Cream of mushroom Soup - Can also use golden mushroom soup.
- Tomato sauce - Adds nice depth of flavor.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - I like to freshly grate my own cheddar cheese if I have time but as a timesaver in this recipe I used pre-shredded cheese.
- Make it with different pasta. Egg noodles are a classic addition to this popular recipe. But any type of pasta will work! Try using rotini, penne, or fettuccini noodles when you make it. You can even substitute gluten free pasta to make this a gluten-free dinner recipe.
- Try different meat. While ground beef is a great option for a family-friendly dinner, you can easily swap out the meat in this recipe for other varieties. Try using ground chicken or ground turkey instead of ground beef. Or swap the ground beef for stew meat or cube steak for even more flavor.
- Add Vegetables - Make it a one dish meal by adding some vegetables. Chopped bell peppers and mushrooms work great in this recipe. You can also use 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables.
How To Make Beef and Noodle Casserole
Making this classic comfort food dinner is so simple – that’s why it’s a classic! In fact, you can prepare this simple recipe in around 30 minutes. Just follow these easy steps to whip up your own pasta dish for dinner tonight.
Cook the egg noodles according to package directions and set aside. Then brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan as you’re browning the ground beef and continue cooking until the meat is cooked through and the onion is tender. Then, season the meat with Italian seasoning.
Remove the pan from heat and add the cream of mushroom soup and tomato sauce to the pan. Stir to mix the sauce ingredients together until they’re well combined with the ground beef.
Next add the cooked egg noodles to the pan. Slowly and carefully stir the noodles into the sauce until all the pasta is coated.
Transfer the pasta ingredients to a large casserole dish and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top. Place the pan in the oven to cook for around 20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese on top is melted.
How To Store
Cover any leftover beef noodle casserole with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Cook the egg noodles to al dente. Avoid overcooking your egg noodles by cooking them a few minutes less than what’s suggested on the package.
- Don’t add more liquid to the sauce. Combining the tomato sauce and cream of mushroom soup will result in a perfectly creamy sauce for your beef and noodles. That means there is no reason to add any extra liquid to your casserole.
- Start with lean ground beef. To reduce the amount of grease in your casserole use lean ground beef. Make sure to drain any extra fat before mixing in the sauce ingredients to keep the moisture to a minimum.
This casserole recipe is perfect for meal prepping! You can prepare the casserole and cover and store it in the refrigerator 24 hours in advance. When ready to bake remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit on counter for 10 to 15 minutes before baking. You may need to add 5 to 10 minutes more cooking time since it was refrigerated.
Yes! You can use ground chicken or ground turkey, pork or Italian sausage instead of the ground beef.
Yes! Do not add raw ground beef to the casserole. You must cook the ground beef before adding to the casserole. Ground beef is difficult to bake when it’s raw so it’s important that you take the time to brown and crumble the meat before baking. Per USDA guidelines: ''To destroy harmful bacteria, cook ground beef to a safe minimum internal temperature of 160 °F."
I hope you enjoy this Ground Beef Noodle Casserole! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Beef and Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, prepared
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 10 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat with the onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- When the meat is cooked through, add the cream of mushroom soup, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and let it warm through.
- Then add the noodles and mix until all the noodles are coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish and top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted