This Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Sandwich recipe is made from scratch with simple ingredients and fresh chicken for a delicious spicy sandwich in under 30 minutes! It's easy to make and crisped to perfection in the air fryer.
If you are craving a chicken sandwich but don't want to drive to town you can make your own spicy chicken sandwich that is just as delicious and you control the ingredients.
Why You’ll Love this Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Full of Flavor: Enjoy the tangy spicy flavor of buffalo sauce on panko breaded chicken easily customized with your favorite toppings.
- Perfectly cooked: Cooking in the air fryer makes the chicken tender, juicy and crispy.
- Budget Friendly: If you like ordering chicken sandwiches from your favorite restaurant you are going to love making this homemade version that is easy, delicious and less expensive than eating out.
- Easy to Make: This chicken sandwich is perfect for lunch or dinner and it's a quick and easy meal for busy weeknights.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Chicken Breast - This recipe uses 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- All Purpose Flour - Coats the chicken as base to the breading.
- Large Eggs - Binds the flour and spices to create a crispy layer.
- Whole Milk - I used whole milk but you can also use 2% milk.
- Spice Mix - A blend of panko bread crumbs, black pepper, garlic salt, and smoked paprika.
- Buffalo Sauce - Use any of your favorite buffalo sauces to bring the zing to the dish.
- Brown Sugar - Balances the heat from the buffalo sauce with a hint of sweetness.
- Skip the buns and make buffalo chicken wraps using tortillas or lettuce wraps.
- Instead of buffalo sauce toss the chicken in your favorite barbeque sauce.
- Cut each chicken breast in half and serve as buffalo sliders on Hawaiian rolls.
- This chicken is also great sliced and served over a freshly made salad.
How to Make Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally to make thin pieces, coat evenly in flour.
In a bowl mix panko crumbs, black pepper, garlic salt, and smoked paprika.
In a separate bowl whisk eggs and milk together, dip chicken in egg mixture followed by bread crumbs.
Combine buffalo sauce and brown sugar, coat each piece evenly and cook in an air fryer two at a time until fully cooked. Allow to rest before serving.
How To Store and Reheat
Leftover chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat your chicken in the air fryer for about 5 minutes at 390°F to give it a little bit of crispiness.
- Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F as measured with a food thermometer per USDA guidelines.
- Coating the chicken in the buffalo sauce before cooking helps keep the chicken juicy and tender. The sauce provides extra moisture to keep the chicken from drying out.
- I like to serve this chicken on a sesame seed bun with lots of pickles and extra buffalo sauce.
- Toasting the buns helps to keep them from getting soggy.
- For easy clean up spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray.
- Cooking times may vary depending on the model of your air fryer.
Yes! The chicken can be baked in the oven instead of air fryer. Cook the chicken in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 25 minutes. Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Always check for doneness with a meat thermometer. The chicken is done when it reaches 165°F as measured with a food thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken.
Blue cheese, provolone, mozzarella and pepper jack all pair well with buffalo chicken.
What To Serve With Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
There are lots of great side dish options to go with this chicken sandwich. We like serve it with this creamy Bacon Ranch Coleslaw or this Cheesy Potatoes Casserole. It's also delicious with these Air Fryer Potatoes.
Buffalo Chicken Toppings
We like to serve this buffalo chicken on sesame seed buns or brioche buns. Here are some great topping ideas that are delicious on this sandwich.
- Ranch dressing
- Blue cheese dressing
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickle slices
- Cooked bacon strips
- Sliced red onions
- Mozzarella or pepper jack cheese
I hope you enjoy this Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Sandwich recipe! If you try it, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- Cut your chicken breasts in half horizontally to create 4 thin chicken breast pieces. Coat each one evenly in flour.
- In one bowl, combine the panko crumbs and spices. Set it aside and whisk the eggs together with the milk in a separate bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture before coating it in bread crumbs.
- Whisk together the buffalo sauce and brown sugar. Dip each piece of chicken in the mixture and ensure they are evenly coated in the sauce.
- Place the coated chicken breasts in the air fryer two at a time and cook for 13 minutes at 375°F, flipping the chicken over at halfway mark.
- Serve on your favorite bread with your favorite toppings and enjoy!