Try this easy three ingredient slow cooker pineapple salsa chicken that takes just minutes to prepare. Serve this sweet and savory pineapple salsa chicken over a bed of rice. This slow cooker recipe is one your family will go crazy for!
Simple recipes are a must for every home. This is a dump and go chicken recipe that is easy and full of flavor.
Easy Budget Friendly Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken
Salsa pineapple chicken is so affordable to make. If you are on a budget or a newbie to using a slow cooker this recipe is effortless. You get sweet flavor from the pineapple and savory from the chicken and the salsa. Easy and delicious!
The canned pineapple chunks work great for this recipe. The pineapple and salsa combination add lots of flavor to the chicken.
We cook this recipe year round in the slow cooker. I use my slow cooker just a much in the summer months as I do in the winter.
It doesn’t heat the kitchen up and I don’t have to stand over a hot stove when it’s 90 degrees outside. That’s a win for me!
What Type Of Chicken Is Best For This Recipe?
I used boneless chicken thighs. If you prefer you can use tenderloins or boneless chicken breasts. This slow cooker chicken dinner is best made with boneless chicken.
Can Frozen Chicken Be Added To Slow Cooker?
The USDA recommends thawing your meat in the refrigerator before adding to the slow cooker. Using thawed meat ensures your meal cooks evenly and all the way through.
Different Ways To Serve
- Fajita style – add to a warm tortilla with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
- Bed of rice – classic white rice, brown, Jasmine, or even cauliflower rice.
- Quinoa – for a healthy pairing.
- Veggies – assemble and serve with veggies on the side.
- Chips – make a nacho style dinner.
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 can pineapple chunks, drained and juices reserved
2 cups salsa
season chicken with salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Pineapple Salsa Chicken In The Slow Cooker
Full instructions and measurements are in the recipe card below. Just scroll to the bottom to print.
- Start by seasoning chicken with salt and pepper. Then place the thighs in the slow cooker. Pour reserved pineapple juice over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Add in the salsa and pineapple chunks and cook for another hour on high until flavors are combined and chicken is done.
We like to serve over rice, or shred the chicken and serve in tortillas or nachos.
Best Type Of Salsa To Add To Chicken
You can use any type salsa that your family prefers. Store-bought jarred salsa, homemade, or even a freshly prepared salsa.
Choose between mild, medium, or hot salsa to fit your taste buds. Pineapple or mango salsa would also be very good for this recipe.
Variations and Substitutions
- add chopped cilantro
- season chicken with ½ teaspoon chili powder
- spice it up with a Jalapeño pepper de-seeded and chopped
- add a can of black beans
- use a can mild diced green chilies for more flavor
- brown the chicken thighs before placing them in the slow cooker for extra flavor
- substitute chicken breast instead of chicken thighs (adjust cooking times depending on thickness of chicken)
How To Store Leftovers
You can store the leftover pineapple chicken in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Then just reheat it in the microwave. We like to slice the chicken and serve on top of a salad for a quick lunch the next day.
Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken
This easy three ingredient slow cooker pineapple salsa chicken takes just minutes to prepare and your family will love it!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can pineapple chunks, drained and juices reserved
- 2 cups salsa
- salt Seasonthe chicken thighs with salt and pepperand pepper to taste
Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
Place chicken thighs into the bottom of the slow cooker bowl.
Pour ¼ cup to ⅓ cup of the reserved pineapple juices over the chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
In a mixing bowl, add the salsa and the pineapple chunks. Stir until blended.
Pour mixture over the chicken thighs and replace the lid.
Cook for another hour on high.
Serve over rice and enjoy!
If you prefer, you can use pineapple juice instead of the reserved juices from the can.
Use whatever salsa you prefer. Pineapple or mango salsa would be very good, and feel free to use a mild, medium or spicy salsa if you like
For more great slow cooker recipes