The delicious combination of chicken, rice, and veggies makes this flavorful Teriyaki Chicken Casserole the perfect idea for dinner tonight! And since you can make the meal in under 40 minutes, it’s also a quick and easy option for a busy weeknight.
Make your teriyaki sauce from scratch on the stovetop, then mix in your chicken and stir-fry veggies to create this simple baked dinner with just a few minutes of prep work.
What vegetables are good in teriyaki chicken casserole?
Grabbing a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables is a quick and easy way to prepare this dinner without adding more prep work to your plate.
But if you would rather use fresh vegetables in your dish, you can create your own stir fry medley by combining your favorite veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower, baby corn, edamame, snow peas, and bell peppers are all great choices.
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
This simple Teriyaki casserole has all the flavor of a classic chicken stir fry without all the extra work. And that means you can whip it up with just a few simple ingredients, including:
- Soy sauce
- Ground ginger
- Brown sugar
- Cooked chicken
- White rice
- Frozen stir fry mixed vegetables
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
Making this easy chicken casserole is so simple you’re going to want to make it over and over again! Since this dish involves very little prep work, it’s ready quickly!
You can follow these simple instructions for putting everything together.
Before you can mix the casserole ingredients in the baking dish, you’ll need to take some time to prep everything.
Start by preparing the frozen vegetables according to the package instructions. After that, you can prepare your rice. Then, chop your cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces or shred it using a fork.
After you have the chicken and vegetables ready, it’s time to prepare the homemade teriyaki sauce. Stir together the water, soy sauce, garlic, ground ginger, and brown sugar in a large skillet. Cook the sauce over medium heat, simmering for around 5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
Once the sauce has been reduced, add the chicken, rice, and vegetables to the pan. Stir to mix everything together until all the ingredients are coated in the sauce.
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish greased with nonstick cooking spray and bake in a 350 degree oven for around 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.
Serve and enjoy! I like to serve topped with green onions.
How Do I Thicken Teriyaki Sauce?
Allowing the sauce to simmer on the stovetop is a simple way to thicken it. But if you’re short on time, you can speed up the thickening process with the help of cornstarch.
Combine one tablespoon of cornstarch with one tablespoon of cold water. Mix the two ingredients together until the cornstarch melts into the liquid, then pour the slurry into the sauce.
Whisk the sauce as it simmers and continue cooking until it is the desired consistency.
Can I make chicken teriyaki casserole ahead of time?
One of the best things about this easy casserole is that you can prepare it in advance and simply pop it in the oven when you’re ready to eat it!
If you make this casserole ahead of time here are the two ways you can store it:
- In the refrigerator: After covering the dish, store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake, remove the dish from the refrigerator and allow it to rest at room temperature for around 15 minutes before placing it in the oven.
- In the freezer. Wrap the casserole dish with foil and place it in the freezer for long-term storage (up to two months). Allow the frozen casserole to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then bake according to the recipe instructions.
How To Store Leftover Casserole
You should store your leftovers in the refrigerator. Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to three days.
To reheat the leftovers, warm them up in the microwave or bake in a 350 degree oven until heated through.
I hope you enjoy this Teriyaki Chicken Casserole! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Teriyaki Chicken Casserole Recipe
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 1 package frozen stir fry mixed vegetables, prepared
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the water, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and brown sugar in a large skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, allowing the sauce to simmer for around 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the chicken, rice, and vegetables. Stir to mix.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.