Savor the irresistible flavors of these Bacon Cheddar Biscuits. These fluffy, buttery biscuits are loaded with delicious cheddar cheese and savory bacon pieces creating a perfect balance of flavors.
Freshly baked to golden brown perfection and each bite is melt in your mouth goodness. In less than 35 minutes you can have these amazing biscuits and that includes prep time!
These biscuits are delicious at breakfast, as a brunch treat or as a side to your favorite meal.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- All Purpose Flour - When measuring flour, spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the excess with the smooth edge of a butter knife.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - Gives the biscuits a light, fluffy texture and helps them rise as they bake in the oven.
- Coarse Sea Salt - Adds flavor to the biscuit dough.
- Granulated Sugar - Balances the dough with a hint of sweetness.
- Salted Butter - Creates the flaky buttery layers everyone loves in their biscuit.
- Buttermilk - Brings a delicious tang and softness to the flavor and texture.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - I prefer to buy blocks of cheddar cheese and shred it instead of buying pre-shredded cheese.
- Chopped Bacon - Adds a smoky taste and gives the biscuit some crunch.
Bacon: I prefer to make my own bacon and chop it but to save time you can use store-bought real bacon bits instead. You can also use turkey bacon.
Cheese: I make this with cheddar cheese but some other great options are pepper jack if you want something a little spicy or Colby jack, Monterey jack and provolone.
How To Make Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
In a large mixing bowl whisk to combine flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
Cube butter and add to mixing bowl, incorporate until mixture is coarse.
Add buttermilk and whisk until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Then gently fold in cheese and bacon until combined.
Dump dough onto lightly floured surface and roll into a thick sheet, cut into 3 inch discs and let rest in the refrigerator until the oven is preheated.
Bake in a cast iron skillet or 9 inch pie dish until golden brown on top.
- I like to use freshly shredded cheese because it has more moisture and tends to melt a little better than pre-shredded cheese.
- ½ cup of chopped bacon is about 8 pieces of cooked bacon. Allow time for bacon to cool completely so it does not soften or melt the butter.
- If your biscuit dough seems to wet when you dump it out of the mixing bowl, you can add ¼ cup of extra flour a tablespoon at a time. You don’t want the dough to be too dry or you will have crumbly biscuits, but you also want to be able to cut them out without the dough sticking to your counter.
- I like to let my biscuits rest in the refrigerator while the oven preheats so the butter stays nice and cold, but it is not completely necessary. This dough comes together so fast it should still be pretty cold even if you don’t have time to put it in the fridge.
To make tender biscuits do not overwork the dough. Mix just until ingredients are combined. Also make sure you do not twist the biscuit cutter. You want to press straight down and pick it straight back up to avoid twisting. Twisting the cutter seals the edges and prevents the biscuits from rising and fluffing as needed.
If you do not have buttermilk, you can make your own by whisking together 1 ½ cups of whole milk and a tablespoon of vinegar.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze them for up to 2 months by allowing biscuits to cool then placing them in a Ziploc freezer bag and storing in freezer for up to 3 months.
I hope you enjoy this Bacon Cheddar Biscuits recipe! If you try it, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Bacon Cheddar Biscuits Recipe
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped bacon (cooked)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk or wooden spoon to quickly mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut the butter into small squares and add them to the mixing bowl. Using a fork or your hands, incorporate the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk and whisk gently until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl. Gently fold in the shredded cheese and cooked chopped bacon until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and work into a thick sheet about 1 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or a glass to divide the dough into 3-inch discs. Let your biscuits rest in the fridge until the oven is finished preheating.
- Place the biscuits in a cast iron skillet or 9-inch pie dish and bake for 12 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!