This Chocolate lasagna is an easy-to-make showstopping dessert! Crushed Oreos, vanilla cream, and chocolate custard are layered then chilled to create a no bake dessert that can be sliced and eaten just like a savory lasagna!
Whenever I’m in charge of making dessert for a large crowd, I always show up with this crunchy and creamy chocolate lasagna! This delicious dessert features layers of crumbly Oreo cookies, light and fluffy vanilla cream, and dense chocolate pudding.
Once this trifle-like dessert is chilled, it can be sliced, served, and eaten just like traditional lasagna! I find that one 9x13” pan of chocolate lasagna is enough to feed 12 people.
For a dish that only takes 20 minutes to prepare, that’s pretty impressive! Kids and adults alike love the rich chocolate flavors featured in this dessert lasagna.
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Oreos - Finely crushed. If you’re sensitive to gluten, pick up a package of the gluten-free Oreos. They taste almost identical to the real thing!
- Chocolate Pudding Mix - Creates a rich and creamy chocolate custard layer for the center of this no-bake dessert.
- Cool Whip Thawed.
- Cream Cheese - Adds some stability to the vanilla layer of this chocolate lasagna.
- Heavy Cream - Is combined with the chocolate pudding mix to create a custard-like chocolate filling.
- Butter - Salted and melted.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens the vanilla layer without making it grainy.
- Vanilla - Just a splash adds a warm vanilla flavor to balance out the rich chocolate.
How to Make This Chocolate Lasagna Recipe
Create the base layer of your chocolate lasagna by combining the crushed Oreos and melted butter. The resulting mixture should resemble wet sand.
Press the cookie mixture into the base of a casserole dish. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cool whip, cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth.
Use a spatula to spread half of the vanilla cool whip mixture on top of the Oreo layer. Set aside.
In a smaller mixing bowl, beat together the heavy whipping cream and chocolate pudding mix until just combined.
Allow the pudding mixture to chill slightly before spreading it on top of the vanilla cool whip layer. Top the chocolate lasagna with the remaining cool whip mixture.
We like to top it with crushed Oreos. Allow the lasagna to chill before slicing, serving, and enjoying!
How to Store
The chocolate lasagna can be covered with plastic wrap or sliced and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This dessert is best served cold, so I don’t recommend letting it sit out on the counter for more than 30 minutes at a time!
- Give your no-bake chocolate lasagna a bit of extra pizzaz by garnishing it with some shaved chocolate, homemade hot fudge, toasted chopped nuts, or extra crushed Oreo cookies.
- Make sure that you’re using room temperature cream cheese and thawed cool whip to make the vanilla layer of your chocolate lasagna. This will make the mixing process much easier and prevent lumps from forming!
- If you don’t have any cool whip on hand, you can make the vanilla layer of your chocolate lasagna with homemade whipped cream. Just be aware that the resulting mixture will be softer and less stable than the original.
Can I make chocolate lasagna without cream cheese?
Absolutely! If you’re not a fan of cream cheese, you can swap it out for a can of sweetened condensed milk. The resulting mixture will be a bit softer than the original but should still be able to form a nice layer within your chocolate lasagna.
How long does the pudding in chocolate lasagna take to set?
I find that it takes about 4 hours in the fridge for the chocolate pudding in this dessert lasagna to set. If you try to slice and serve your chocolate lasagna before the pudding is set, the layers will collapse into one another and create a big mess. So, be sure to plan ahead and give this dessert some extra time to chill!
Is chocolate lasagna a trifle?
Chocolate lasagna is very similar to a trifle, but it’s not exactly the same. A trifle is made by layering sponge cake, fruit, jam, and whipped cream in a tall, circular glass dish.
This chocolate lasagna is also made by creating distinct layers of sweet ingredients; however, it features pudding and crushed Oreos instead of the traditional trifle ingredients. You can cut a chocolate lasagna into slices that hold their shape - this is impossible with a soft and delicate trifle.
Here are a few more of our favorite no bake desserts to try!
Lasagna for dessert? Yes please! This smooth, velvety chocolate lasagna is such a fun and delicious dessert. The crunchy Oreo crust supports a layer of mousse-like chocolate pudding and two layers of a creamy cool whip topping.
Each bite of this no bake dessert is rich and full of chocolatey goodness. You will love how easy it is to assemble. Enjoy!
Chocolate Lasagna Recipe
- 30 Oreos (crushed)
- ¼ cup salted butter (melted)
- 16 ounce container cool whip (thawed)
- 8 ounce block cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5.9 ounce packet chocolate pudding mix
- Stir together your butter and crushed Oreos to form a mixture that resembles wet sand. Firmly press the mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish to form a crust. Set aside.
- Whisk together the cool whip, cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer. Mix for about 3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
- Use a spatula to spread about half of the cool whip mixture on top of the Oreo crust. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and chocolate pudding mix until combined. Allow the pudding mix to set for 5 minutes in the fridge.
- Add the pudding to the baking dish and spread the remaining cool whip mixture on top.
- Cover your lasagna with plastic wrap and allow it to sit in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!