These Mint M&M Brownie Cookies are absolutely delicious with the rich taste of chocolate and refreshing peppermint. They are a breeze to whip up. I'm all about efficiency in the kitchen, so the fact that these take just 8 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to bake is a total win.
These cookies are perfect for celebrating a holiday like St. Patrick's Day or simply satisfying your sweet tooth. Quick to prepare with minimal ingredients, these cookies are a crowd-pleaser that will leave everyone craving more.
These Mint M&M Brownie Cookies are a favorite of mine because they satisfy all my brownie cravings and have that perfect peppermint-chocolate flavor that I love!
They are soft and chewy, and the green M&Ms provide an awesome crunch that takes them to the next level.
Pro tip: if you're feeling a bit extra, add some chocolate chips into the batter – trust me. It makes them extra special!
If you serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream a la mode style, it’s a total game-changer. So good!
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- All-purpose flour: Adds structure to the cookies, making them hold together.
- Baking powder: Gives the cookies a bit of lift and fluffiness.
- Salt: Balances out the sweetness and enhances the overall flavor.
- Cocoa powder: Brings in that rich, chocolatey goodness we all love.
- Granulated sugar: Sweetens the deal, making the cookies deliciously sweet.
- Butter (melted): Adds moisture and contributes to the chewy texture.
- Egg: Binds everything together, making sure the cookies stay intact.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances the overall flavor profile with a hint of sweetness.
- Peppermint extract: Gives that refreshing peppermint kick, making them extra special.
- Green M&Ms (optional): Adds a pop of color and a satisfying crunch on top.
How To Make Mint M&M Brownie Cookies
Let's get these Mint M&M Brownie Cookies baking! Preheat the oven to 350º.
Now, in one bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. Get that combo ready and set it aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar until they're well combined. Then, add in the egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract – give it a good stir.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring just until they’re combined. If you're feeling extra chocolatey, toss in some chocolate chips. Totally optional, but highly recommended.
Grab a cookie scoop or tablespoon and scoop the cookie batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. To make them festive, press some green M&Ms on top.
Now, into the oven they go for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them – we want them mostly set but a tad soft in the middle.
Once they're out, let them cool on the baking sheet. And there you have it – Peppermint Brownie Cookies ready to be enjoyed!
- Add chocolate chips. Stir in a half cup of chocolate chips into the batter for extra gooey goodness.
- Add nuts. Add a crunch by folding in chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans. About half a cup should do the trick.
- Kick up the mint flavor. Use mint flavored M&M's for a more minty flavor.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Freezing
Make Ahead: To prepare these brownie cookies, you can prepare the dough in advance and refrigerate it. Make sure it is tightly covered to prevent drying. When ready to bake, allow the dough to come to room temperature before scooping and baking as directed.
Store: To store leftover cookies, place them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To maintain freshness, consider adding a slice of bread to the container, as it helps prevent the cookies from becoming too dry.
Freeze: If you want to freeze the cookies, ensure they are fully cooled before placing them in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc freezer bag. For optimal freshness, separate layers with parchment paper. When ready to enjoy, thaw the cookies at room temperature or warm them in a low-temperature oven.
- When combining wet and dry ingredients, mix just until everything is incorporated. Overmixing can result in tougher cookies.
- Use a small cookie scoop or Tablespoon for scooping cookie dough to ensure even baking. This helps all the cookies cook at the same rate.
- Keep an eye on the cookies in the last few minutes of baking. They should be mostly set but slightly underdone in the middle. Oven temperatures may vary, so adjust accordingly.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them. This helps them set up properly.
Here are a few essential baking supplies every home cook needs.
HULISEN Stainless Steel Biscuit Cutter Set, Flour Duster, Pastry Scraper and Dough Blender, Heavy-Duty & Durable with Ergonomic Rubber Grip, Professional Baking Dough Tools, Gift Package (4 Pcs/Set)KitchenAid Universal Nesting Plastic Mixing Bowls, Set Of 3, 2.5 quart, 3.5 quart, 4.5 quart, Non Slip Base with Easy Pour Spout to Reduce Mess, Dishwasher Safe, Empire RedKitchenAid Ribbed Soft Silicone Oven Mitt Set, 7Zulay Kitchen Silicone Utensil Rest - BPA-Free, Durable Spoon Rest with Drip Pad - Heat-Resistant Spoon Rest for Stove Top - Spoon Rest for Kitchen Counter - Kitchen Gadgets & Kitchen Utensils HolderFayomir Cookie Scoop Set - Small/1 Tablespoon, Medium/2 Tablespoon, Large/3 Tablespoon - Cookie Dough Scoop, 18/8 Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop Cupcake Scoop Melon Baller ScoopWilton Ever Glide Non-Stick Bakeware Set for Cooking and Baking, 6-Piece Set
Is there a difference between peppermint and mint extract?
Peppermint extract has a more intense and specific flavor compared to general mint extract, which may include spearmint or other milder mint flavors.
Can I skip the peppermint extract altogether?
Yes, if you're not a fan of mint, you can omit the peppermint extract. The cookies will still have a rich chocolate flavor. You can add a little mint flavor by using mint flavored M&M's instead.
Here are a few more cookie recipes you might like to try!
- Brownie Cookies
- Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Maple Brown Sugar Cookies
- Star Crunch Cookies
You'll love these Mint M&M Brownie Cookies because they blend chocolatey goodness with a refreshing mint kick. The soft, chewy texture and festive M&M toppings make them a delicious treat for any occasion!
Mint M&M Brownie Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green M&Ms (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the butter and sugar together.
- Then, whisk in the egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa mixture until just combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough and place it about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Press three M&Ms into the top of each.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes until the cookies are mostly set, but they look a little under-baked in the middle. These are brownie-type cookies, so you don't want them to be too dry.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet while they finish setting up.