Enjoy the rich fudgy goodness of brownies combined with the ease of cookies when you make a batch of my Brownie Cookies! These chewy chocolate cookies are the best of both worlds!
A batch of these delicious cookies are made with just a handful of simple ingredients in under an hour. Plus, they’re the perfect on-the-go treat! You can enjoy the chewiness of chocolate brownie cookies anywhere - no fork required!
If you like brownies then you will LOVE our homemade brownie cookies. With a brownie-like cookie dough you'll enjoy the fudgy texture of this delicious cookie that will satisfy your chocolate craving. You get double the chocolate flavor with the cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
I enjoy these fudgy brownie cookies as an afternoon special treat or easy weeknight dessert, but you could also serve them as an after-school snack, work lunch goodie, or easy chocolate potluck dessert.
These cookies are delicious served alongside a tall glass of milk or your favorite non-dairy milk. If you’re feeling indulgent, add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Ingredients To Make Brownie Cookies
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Chocolate Chips - You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. When melted they will give these cookies a rich, fudgy flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour - Or your favorite 1:1 gluten free flour blend.
- Cocoa Powder - Helps to keep these cookies chewy and super chocolatey.
- Brown Sugar - Or granulated white sugar if you prefer a chewier, slightly dryer brownie.
- Eggs - Binds all the other cookie ingredients together.
- Butter - Use salted butter.
- Baking Powder - Keeps your brownie cookies from spreading too much in the oven.
Make them into bars! Don’t want to take the time to shape your cookie dough into individual cookies? You can bake your dough into brownie cookie bars instead. Simply press the cookie dough into the base of a parchment-lined glass baking dish and bake as normal.
Keep an eye on the bars and pull them out of the oven when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When sliced into rectangles, it’s hard to decide if these bars are more like cookies or brownies!
Looking for a way to put your own spin on these brownie cookies? Try jazzing up your cookies with additional mix ins or frostings. I like folding in walnuts, caramel bites, or swirls of peanut butter into my brownie cookie dough.
And if I have some extra time, I’ll whip up a chocolate ganache or peanut butter buttercream to frost the top of these chocolatey cookies.
Try different baking chips. You can make these brownie cookies with any kind of baking chip! Try using white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or mint chips instead.
How To Make Brownie Cookies
To make these brownie cookies start by melting together the butter and half of the chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl that is microwave-safe. Microwave for 40 seconds and then stir until combined.
Next you will whisk in the brown sugar until fully dissolved in the butter mixture and then add the eggs and mix until combined.
Next add in the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder to chocolate mixture. Mix until just combined.
Add the chocolate chips and continue mixing until they’re evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough. At this point I recommend covering the bowl with plastic wrap and placing the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill to help thicken the dough.
Once dough is chilled use cookie scoop to form the dough into balls and spread them evenly across the surface of a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake until the cookies are ever so slightly crispy on the edge, but still chewy in the middle.
How to Store
These cookies will stay soft and fudgy when stored in an airtight container. They should stay fresh on the counter for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To freeze simply divide dough into balls and keep it in a large freezer safe Ziploc bag. When ready to eat you can bake your cookies according to the normal recipe directions.
I enjoy these cookies best at room temperature, but they can also be eaten cold or warmed up slightly in the microwave.
Tips For Making Best Brownie Cookies
- Unlike other cookie recipes, you do not need to cream the butter and sugar together in this recipe. You also do not need an electric hand mixer. In order to get that chewy, fudgy brownie texture we are going to gently fold the ingredients together to avoid adding too much air to the dough.
- Be sure not to overmix the brownie cookie dough. You want to fold the ingredients together just until combined to get that classic brownie texture in your cookies. The more you mix it, the more gluten will develop, and the less fudgy your finished cookies will be.
- Allowing the cookie dough time to chill helps prevent the cookies from spreading too much while they bake. The cookie dough may not seem scoopable when you finish mixing it, but it will be once you let it chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Because brownies are baked in a single layer and then sliced into bars, brownie batter is thinner than cookie dough.
There’s more flour and cocoa powder and less butter in these brownie cookies than you would find in a traditional brownie recipe. This ratio of flour to fat helps to keep your brownie cookie dough thick and pliable.
No I don't recommend replacing the butter with oil. When you’re making these brownie cookies, you’ll want to make sure that you use butter. Adding oil to this cookie dough will make it slightly runny and your resulting cookies will not hold their shape in the oven.
If you are looking for more easy chocolate recipes here are a few more to try.
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- S'mores Cookie Bars
- Mississippi Mud Pie
I hope you enjoy this homemade Brownie Cookie Recipe! If you try it, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Brownie Cookies Recipe
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to350°F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, melt the butter and one cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for 40 seconds. Stir the mixture with a fork or spatula until combined.
- Stir in the brown sugar until it is fully dissolved in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Add the eggs and stir until well combined, ensuring that both eggs have been thoroughly beaten into the mixture.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder to the bowl. Gently fold in the dry ingredients until no dry pockets remain in the cookie dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Use a spoon or cookie scoop to form balls of cookie dough about 2 inches in diameter onto a baking sheet. Bake 8 cookies at a time for 13 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then serve and enjoy!