These Cookies and Cream Brownies combine the rich chocolaty goodness of brownies with the creamy delight of Oreos. If you love Cookies and Cream milkshakes, you’re going to love these brownies!
The brownie base is fudgy and sweet, with a perfect balance of cocoa and buttery goodness. The cream layer, made with whipped cream, powdered sugar, cream cheese, and more crushed Oreos, adds a smooth texture that complements the dense brownie underneath.
These Cookies and Cream Brownies are a chocolate lover's dream come true! The brownie base is super fudgy, but the real game-changer is that creamy layer on top - whipped cream, powdered sugar, cream cheese, and a generous amount of crushed Oreos. It's like the best of both worlds, with that classic cookies and cream flavor taking it to a whole new level.
I love to make the brownie base ahead and freeze it. That way when I’m ready to make the cookies and cream brownies I can just whip up the cream layer, spread it on the thawed brownies, and I’m good to go!
I usually cut them into slightly smaller squares for a bite-sized treat that's perfect for sharing at parties or potlucks. If you're feeling extra fancy, a drizzle of chocolate sauce on top just before serving adds that extra touch of indulgence. Trust me, these brownies never last long – they're always the first to disappear from the dessert table!
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Eggs: Provide structure and moisture to the brownie base.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens both the brownie base and the cream layer.
- Vanilla: Enhances the overall flavor of the cookies and cream brownies.
- Butter: Adds a rich, fudgy texture to the brownies.
- Flour: Gives structure to the brownie base.
- Cocoa: Gives the brownies a deep chocolate flavor.
- Salt: Balances the sweetness of the brownie base.
- Oreos: Adds a crunchy texture to the brownies and the cream layer.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Forms the base for the creamy layer.
- Powdered Sugar: Sweetens and thickens the cream layer.
- Cream Cheese: Provides a creamy and tangy flavor.
How To Make Cookies and Cream Brownies
To whip up these awesome Cookies and Cream Brownies, start by preheating your oven to 350º.
Then, whisk together eggs and sugar in a large bowl until it's all nicely combined. Add in the melted butter and vanilla then give it another good whisk.
Now, it's time for the dry ingredients. Whisk in the flour, cocoa, and a pinch of salt until everything's well mixed. The fold in the chopped Oreo's. You'll end up with this thick, chocolatey batter that's the base of our brownies.
Spread it into a greased or parchment-lined 8x8-inch baking pan. Place the pan into the center of the oven and let it do its thing for 20 minutes.
Once it's baked, let the brownies cool completely. Patience is key here, my friend; we're about to top these brownies with something special!
Now, for the creamy layer – whip up some heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until you see soft peaks forming. Then, beat in room temperature cream cheese until it's all smooth.
Add in crushed Oreos and give it a good stir. This creamy mixture is spread over the cooled brownies. For an extra crunch, top it with chopped Oreos!
Pro tip: If you want clean slices, place the whole thing in the fridge for a bit before cutting. You can cut into 9 or 12 servings, depending on how large you want your slices to be.
And there you have it – Cookies and Cream Brownies that'll disappear faster than you can say "delicious"! Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Freezing
Make Ahead: For those planning ahead, the brownie base can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. The cream cheese layer, however, is best made fresh just before serving to maintain its light and creamy texture.
Store: When storing leftover brownies, cover the pan with plastic wrap or transfer individual servings to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to three days.
Freeze: These brownies freeze exceptionally well! Freeze before adding the cream cheese frosting. Wrap the entire pan or individual portions tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before placing them in the freezer. They can be stored for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, allow the brownies to thaw in the refrigerator before serving, ensuring the best texture and flavor retention.
Substitutions and Variations
I really would not deviate from this recipe too far because we want that classic Cookies n Cream flavor to really shine. With that said, you could make some minor adjustments to it.
- Make it dairy free. Use dairy-free alternatives for both the butter and cream cheese, such as vegan butter and dairy-free cream cheese. Also, opt for a non-dairy whipped topping or coconut whipped cream for the cream layer.
- Replace the butter. For a lighter option, you can substitute melted coconut oil or vegetable oil for butter at a 1:1 ratio.
- Use an different sweetener. Substitute part of the granulated sugar with a natural sweetener like stevia or erythritol for a lower-calorie option.
Here are a few essential baking supplies every home cook needs.
KitchenAid Universal Nesting Plastic Mixing Bowls, Set Of 3, 2.5 quart, 3.5 quart, 4.5 quart, Non Slip Base with Easy Pour Spout to Reduce Mess, Dishwasher Safe, Empire RedKitchenAid Ribbed Soft Silicone Oven Mitt Set, 7Zulay Kitchen Silicone Utensil Rest - BPA-Free, Durable Spoon Rest with Drip Pad - Heat-Resistant Spoon Rest for Stove Top - Spoon Rest for Kitchen Counter - Kitchen Gadgets & Kitchen Utensils HolderFayomir Cookie Scoop Set - Small/1 Tablespoon, Medium/2 Tablespoon, Large/3 Tablespoon - Cookie Dough Scoop, 18/8 Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop Cupcake Scoop Melon Baller ScoopWilton Ever Glide Non-Stick Bakeware Set for Cooking and Baking, 6-Piece SetHamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer with Whisk, Traditional Beaters, Snap-On Storage Case, White
- Ensure that eggs and cream cheese are at room temperature before starting. It helps in achieving a smoother and more even consistency in both the brownie and cream layers.
- Properly grease or line the baking pan with parchment paper to prevent the brownies from sticking. This makes for easier removal and cleaner slices.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before adding the cream layer. This step prevents the cream from melting and ensures a well-defined separation between the layers.
- If you want clean slices, pop the whole thing in the fridge for a bit before cutting.
Can I use double-stuffed Oreos for more creaminess?
Certainly, double-stuffed Oreos can add an extra creamy layer to both the brownie batter and the cream topping.
Are there alternative cookie options to Oreos?
Yes, you can use any chocolate sandwich cookies or even homemade chocolate cookies if Oreos are not available.
Can I crush the Oreos finely or leave them chunky?
The choice is yours! Finely crushed Oreos will distribute more evenly, while leaving them slightly chunky can add a delightful texture.
Here are a few more delicious and easy brownie desserts to try!
You'll love these Cookies and Cream Brownies because they combine rich, fudgy chocolate with a creamy, cookies-and-cream layer for a taste that's simply irresistible!
Cookies and Cream Brownies
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 Oreos (chopped)
Cream Topping Ingredients
- 5 Oreos (crushed)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- additional Oreos to crumble over the cream topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease, or line a 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined.
- Then, whisk in the butter.
- Next, whisk in the flour, cocoa, and salt until well combined.
- Fold the chopped Oreos into brownie batter.
- Using a spatula, spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 23 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- When the brownies are cool, whip heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Stir in crushed Oreos until fully incorporated.
- Spread the creamy topping over the brownies.
- Cut into twelve servings.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.