These Caramel Brownies are a delicious treat with a perfect balance of rich chocolate and gooey caramel. The brownies are moist and fudgy, loaded with chocolate chips, and the melted caramel swirl sets them over the top.
These brownies are the perfect easy dessert for any time because they are total crowd-pleasers that take less than 45 minutes from start to finish. Be careful, though - they are amazing, and you won't be able to eat just one!
These Caramel Brownies are my absolute go-to when I need a quick and decadent dessert fix. The combination of rich chocolate and gooey caramel is like a match made in dessert heaven.
What I love most about this caramel brownies recipe is how simple they are to make. They truly are a breeze to whip up. Plus, that caramel swirl in the middle – it's a game-changer.
Don't hold back on the caramel, either. Add as much as you want and make those brownies extra luscious. And if you’re short on time, don’t worry about using the stovetop. They will melt in the microwave, too!
If you love caramel and chocolate chip flavor combination then you must try these Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies!
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Caramel Squares: Adds a gooey and sweet swirl for the perfect contrast to the chocolatey richness.
- Heavy Cream: Combines with the caramel squares to create a smooth and creamy caramel swirl.
- Eggs: Provides structure to the brownies, making them moist and fudgy.
- Sugar: Sweetens the brownies and enhances their chewy texture.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds a hint of warmth and enhances the overall flavor.
- Butter: Melts into the batter, adding to the fudginess and richness of the brownies.
- Flour: Adds structure to the brownies and helps bind the ingredients together.
- Cocoa: Gives the brownies with a deep chocolate flavor.
- Salt: Balances the sweetness and enhances the overall taste of the brownies.
- Chocolate Chips: Add extra bursts of chocolate throughout the caramel brownies.
How To Make Caramel Brownies
First, preheat your oven to 350º. While that's warming up, melt those caramel squares with some heavy cream. You can do this on the stove or in the microwave in short intervals. Just make sure it's all smooth.
Now, let's tackle the brownie batter. Whisk together eggs, sugar, and vanilla until everything's combined. Then, pour in that melted butter and keep whisking.
Next, add the flour, cocoa, and a pinch of salt. Whisk until it's all combined. Then, fold the chocolate chips into the brownie batter.
Grease or line your baking pan – 8x8 is what I used. Spread that brownie batter in there evenly. Now, here's the fun part: pour the melted caramel and cream over the brownie batter. Take a butter knife and swirl it around. No need to be perfect here. We want that gooey goodness everywhere!
Place it in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it – we're aiming for a toothpick to come out with a few moist crumbs, not wet batter. Once it's done, let it cool. If you're feeling extra, drizzle more caramel on top. Who can say no to extra caramel?
Cut into squares, and there you have it – caramel brownie bliss. Perfect for any sweet craving or when you want to impress without much fuss. Enjoy!
It’s such a treat to have these caramel brownies around the house for a little bite of indulgence. Serve them warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side to take them to a whole new level.
Substitutions And Variations
- Add nuts. Add a cup of chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, to the batter for a crunchy texture and nutty flavor.
- Make them into Salted Caramel Brownies. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on top of the caramel before swirling it into the brownie batter. The sweet and salty contrast is irresistible!
- Add espresso. Mix a tablespoon of instant espresso powder into the batter for a subtle coffee undertone that complements the chocolate and caramel.
Here are a few essential baking supplies every home cook needs.
HULISEN Stainless Steel Biscuit Cutter Set, Flour Duster, Pastry Scraper and Dough Blender, Heavy-Duty & Durable with Ergonomic Rubber Grip, Professional Baking Dough Tools, Gift Package (4 Pcs/Set)KitchenAid Universal Nesting Plastic Mixing Bowls, Set Of 3, 2.5 quart, 3.5 quart, 4.5 quart, Non Slip Base with Easy Pour Spout to Reduce Mess, Dishwasher Safe, Empire RedKitchenAid Ribbed Soft Silicone Oven Mitt Set, 7Zulay Kitchen Silicone Utensil Rest - BPA-Free, Durable Spoon Rest with Drip Pad - Heat-Resistant Spoon Rest for Stove Top - Spoon Rest for Kitchen Counter - Kitchen Gadgets & Kitchen Utensils HolderFayomir Cookie Scoop Set - Small/1 Tablespoon, Medium/2 Tablespoon, Large/3 Tablespoon - Cookie Dough Scoop, 18/8 Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop Cupcake Scoop Melon Baller ScoopWilton Ever Glide Non-Stick Bakeware Set for Cooking and Baking, 6-Piece Set
Make Ahead, Storing And Freezing
Make Ahead: To make things easier on making day, you can make the brownie batter and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Similarly, the caramel and cream mixture can be prepared in advance and kept refrigerated. When ready to bake, simply spread the batter in the pan, swirl in the caramel, and bake as directed.
Store: Leftover brownies can be stored at room temperature for up to two days if kept in an airtight container. For longer storage, refrigerate the brownies for up to five days. A brief warming in the oven or microwave will make them like new again.
Freeze: To freeze, individually wrap the brownies in plastic wrap and place them in a sealed freezer bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to two months. Thaw frozen brownies in the refrigerator before bringing them to room temperature or warming them in the oven for a few minutes.
- If using a microwave for melting caramels, go slow with short intervals. Stir between each round to avoid burning. On the stove, use low heat and keep a close eye.
- Melt the butter completely but let it cool slightly before adding it to the batter. This prevents it from cooking the eggs.
- Don't stress about making perfect patterns when swirling in the caramel. A gentle, random swirl with a butter knife adds a nice aesthetic touch.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan before cutting. This helps them set properly and avoids crumbling.
How can I tell when caramel brownies are done?
This can be a little tricky since the caramel is going to stick to your toothpick. The trick is to find a spot toward the center of the pan where you did not swirl in the caramel so that you’re inserting the toothpick into just brownie batter. If you do this, it’ll come out clean when they’re done.
Can I use store-bought caramel sauce instead of melting caramels?
Yes, you can use store-bought caramel sauce, but melting caramels provides a thicker, gooier texture.
Does the type of cocoa powder matter?
Yes, but you can use either Dutch-processed or natural cocoa. Dutch-processed tends to be milder, while natural cocoa is more acidic. Use whichever you’d like based on your preference.
Here are a few more brownie desserts to try!
You'll love these Caramel Brownies because they're the perfect blend of rich chocolate and gooey caramel, creating a brownie that's both comforting and indulgent. The fudgy texture and sweet caramel swirl make them irresistible – a delicious pick-me-up for any sweet tooth!
- caramel squares (unwrapped)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease or line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place caramels and cream in a heavy-bottom sauce pan and heat over low heat until the caramels are melted. (Alternatively, place them in a microwave-safe glass bowl and microwave them at 15-second intervals until the caramels are melted).
- Stir to combine and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined. Then whisk in the melted butter.
- Then whisk in flour, cocoa, and salt until well combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the brownie batter.
- Spread batter into prepared 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Pour melted caramel and cream over brownies, and swirl in with a butter knife.
- Bake the brownies in the center of the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Drizzle with additional caramel if desired.