These delicious semi-homemade Easter Cupcakes are easy to make and fun to decorate. They will be the perfect addition to your Easter dessert table.
If you need a cute Easter dessert that kids and adults will love, this is it! I have step-by-step instructions on making them so you can enjoy a sweet treat for your Easter celebration.
These cute Easter Bunny Cupcakes are almost too adorable to eat! These are semi-homemade doctored cake mix cupcakes. This recipe starts with a white cake mix. Some white cake mixes call for egg whites instead of whole eggs. I created this recipe with whole eggs to help these cupcakes have a moist texture.
The buttercream frosting recipe is big enough to frost all of the cupcakes completely.
The sprinkles I used in this recipe are from Sprinkle Pop and Wilton. Any Easter or Spring sprinkles will work for decorating these cupcakes. I used the Wilton brand (affiliate link) bunny ear decorations.
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Cake Mix - Use your favorite brand of white cake mix.
- Butter - You will need one stick of melted unsalted butter.
- Eggs - Eggs provide structure to the cupcakes.
- Milk - I always use whole milk when baking, but you could use 2% if you prefer.
- Vanilla - Adds sweet flavor to the cake.
- Sprinkles - You can use Easter or spring-colored sprinkles.
- Butter - Unsalted Butter will need to be softened to room temperature.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens the frosting.
- Vanilla - Adds flavor to the frosting.
- Milk - I prefer to use whole milk when making frosting.
- Green Food Coloring - You can use dye-free food coloring if you prefer.
- Sprinkles - Easter or spring colored sprinkles.
- Bunny Ear Decorating Candies
How To Make Easter Cupcakes
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Then, line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
To make the cake batter, add the white cake mix, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until all ingredients are well combined.
Next, add in the milk and sprinkles. Stir until combined. Then scoop the batter into cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
Place in the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Check it by placing a toothpick into the center of the cupcakes. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
Let the cupcakes cool while you make the frosting.
To make the frosting, add the softened butter to a large mixing bowl and beat until it's creamy. Then, add the powdered sugar in one cup at a time until well combined. Add the vanilla extract and stir until combined.
Now add a Tablespoon of the milk in one at a time until you get your desired consistency.
At this point, I add green food coloring to the frosting. Here is a 3-pack with red, green, and blue that does not contain artificial dyes from (affiliate link) Watkins.
Finally, it's time for the fun part. Start piping the grass on the top of your cupcakes, and then add bunny ear candies and sprinkles.
How To Store Cupcakes
These frosted cupcakes should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This keeps the frosting set. You can allow them to come to room temperature before serving.
You can freeze the cupcakes before decorating for up to 2 months. Once decorated, I don't recommend freezing them.
What can I use if I don’t have a grass decorating tip?
You could use a star decorating tip, or you could place holes in a Ziplock bag with a toothpick and fill the bag with frosting.
Where can the Easter bunny ears be purchased?
You can usually purchase these at (affiliate link) Amazon, Michaels, or Walmart.
Here are a few more delicious cupcake recipes to try!
These are the cutest Easter cupcakes and are delicious! This recipe makes 24 cupcakes, so it's perfect for sharing after the Easter egg hunt!
Easter Cupcakes Recipe
- 15.25 ounce box white cake mix
- ½ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sprinkles (Easter or Spring)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
- Green food coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Bunny ear decorating candies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the white cake mix, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Mix everything until well combined.
- Add in the milk and the Easter/Spring sprinkles and stir until combined.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, and scoop in batter into liners until 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the toothpick placed into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Set cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, begin by beating the softened butter in a mixing bowl until it's creamy. Then, slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, while continuing to mix until well combined.
- Next, add the vanilla extract and mix again.
- Finally, add the milk, one tablespoon at a time. (You can adjust the amount of milk to achieve your desired consistency.)
- Add green coloring, if desired, and stir until frosting is the color you want.
- Once you've achieved the desired consistency and color for your frosting, grab a piping bag and cut off about 1/2 inch from the tip.
- Secure a grass decorating tip (such as the Wilton 233 tip) into the piping bag and fill it with frosting.
- Begin piping the grass onto your cupcakes, covering the entire surface.
- Finish off the decoration by adding bunny ear candies and sprinkles.