The classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter can’t be beat! That’s why it tastes so amazing in cookie form. And with this Reese’s Pieces Bars recipe, you get the best of both worlds!
It has the rich and chewy texture of a cookie that’s packed with Reese’s flavor without all the extra work it takes to roll and bake a batch of cookies. All you have to do is mix up the dough and spread it in the pan to bake.
These quick and easy cookie bars are perfect for any occasion because they are made with simple ingredients that you probably have on hand.
This recipe makes 24 bars and is always a crowd-pleasing dessert bar! These are perfect for peanut butter and chocolate chip lovers. These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars are another delicious dessert bar recipe to try!
You’re going to love just how quick and easy these sweet treats are to make! That’s because all you have to do is mix the ingredients, decorate the top with candy pieces, and pop them in the oven.
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
To make your own cookie bars at home, you’ll need:
- Butter - Helps to keep the bars soft and moist and gives that rich buttery flavor.
- Brown Sugar - Add subtle Molasses flavor and gives it a chewy texture.
- Sugar - Provides the sweetness to the bars.
- Eggs - Helps bind the cookie bars together.
- Vanilla Extract - Enhances all the flavors in the recipe.
- Flour - All-purpose flour adds structure to the bars.
- Baking Soda - Helps the cookie bars rise.
- Salt - Balances the sweetness and adds flavor.
- Chocolate Chips - You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
- Peanut Butter Chips - Adds smooth and creamy peanut butter flavor.
- Reese’s Pieces - Provides more peanut butter flavor and crunch to the bars.
How To Make Reese’s Pieces Bars
Just follow these simple instructions to make your own cookie bars at home.
Start by mixing the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, then set aside.
Then, whip together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar in a medium bowl. Continue beating the ingredients together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
After that, you can add the eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl. Beat the ingredients into the creamed butter and sugar until you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
Next, add the dry ingredients directly to the bowl with the egg mixture. Pour in the flour, baking soda, and salt and beat to mix everything together. Make sure all the flour has been fully incorporated into the dough.
Now it’s time to add some peanut butter flavor to the cookie bars with the help of some baking chips and candy. Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and Reese’s Pieces to the bowl. Carefully fold the candy into the dough until it’s well mixed, then cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
Spread the cookie bar dough evenly in a 9x13 baking dish. To make it easier to remove the cookie bars from the pan after they’re finished baking, try lining the pan with parchment paper before spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. Allow the edges of the parchment paper to over hang the sides of the pan for a better grip.
Once you have the cookie dough pressed into the pan, sprinkle some extra Reese’s Pieces on top to decorate. Lightly press the candy into the cookie bars to secure them in place.
Then, place the pan in the oven to bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. When the cookie bars are finished baking, the edges will be golden brown but the center will still be soft.
Allow the cookie bars to cool in the pan to room temperature, then carefully pull them out using the edges of the parchment paper. Transfer the bars to a cutting board and cut them into squares before serving.
How To Store Cookie Bars
These cookie bars are so delicious, I’d be surprised if you have any left over! But if you do, simply transfer them to an airtight container. You can store the bars at room temperature for up to 5 days.
The cookie bars can also be kept in the freezer for more long-term storage. Allow to cool then arrange the bars in an even layer on a baking sheet or flat plate and place them in the freezer. When the bars are frozen solid, transfer them to a freezer bag or storage container. They’ll stay good for up to two months when frozen.
To thaw the bars, simply place them on the counter at room temperature for around an one hour or two.
Can I Make Reese’s Pieces Bars Ahead of Time?
These cookie bars are quick and easy to prepare, which means they’re perfect for a last-minute treat. But if you want to cut down on your prep work before baking, you can prepare the dough ahead of time and bake it later.
After mixing the ingredients for the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer it to a storage container or freezer bag. Or press the dough into your prepared pan for even quick prep work on the day of baking.
Store the dough in the refrigerator for up to two days before baking. When you’re ready to bake, remove the pan from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature for around 30 minutes before placing it in the oven to bake.
The cookie bars can also be baked up to one day in advance. After baking the bars, allow the pan to cool completely, them immediately cover the pan with plastic wrap. It’s important that you do not cut the bars before you’re ready to serve them because they will start to dry out after they are sliced.
Here are a few more dessert bar recipes to try!
These Reese’s Pieces Cookie Bars are fun treats to make in the fall and for Halloween. They are perfect for any occasion, and we enjoy them year-round.
Reese’s Pieces Bars Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Reese’s Pieces (plus extra for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a large bowl until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until a thick dough forms.
- Fold the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and Reese’s pieces into the cookie dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place the dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Press the chilled cookie dough into the parchment paper-lined pan and add more Reese's pieces to the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the edges are golden brown but the center is still soft.
- Allow the cookie bars to cool in the pan, then slice them into 24 bars and serve.