These homemade Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes are the richest and moistest cupcakes you’ll ever eat! Packed with juicy cherry pie filling and topped with a sweet and tangy cherry buttercream frosting, these chocolate cupcakes are far from ordinary.
Made with cherry pie filling, cocoa powder, and a handful of other pantry staples, these quick and easy cupcakes are going to become one of your go-to desserts.
Cherry and chocolate is one of the most underrated dessert flavor combinations! The rich and creamy chocolate is perfectly balanced by juicy, tart cherries in these 30-minute chocolate cherry cupcakes.
Not only does the cherry pie filling add a ton of fruity flavor to these cupcakes, but it also makes these cakes dense and moist. And if you’re not a fan of cherries, don’t worry! You can easily substitute the cherry pie filling for your favorite fruit pie filling.
Just don’t forget to make a complementary buttercream frosting by combining butter, powdered sugar, and fruit juice. This sweet and smooth homemade frosting is truly the cherry on top of these decadent chocolate cherry cupcakes!
Why You Will Love This Cupcake Recipe
- A quick and easy spin on a black forest cake.
- A favorite dessert with both kids and adults.
- Super moist, chocolatey, sweet, and delicious!
- A quick, 30-minute bake.
- Easily stored in the refrigerator and freezer friendly.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Cherry Pie Filling - Canned or homemade.
- Cocoa Powder - Gives these cupcakes a rich chocolate flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour - Or your favorite 1:1 gluten free flour blend.
- Butter - Salted and softened.
- Sugar - Granulated white sugar will add the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Eggs - The binding agent in these moist and rich cupcakes.
- Vanilla - Just a splash is enough to add a ton of flavor.
- Baking Powder - Keeps these chocolate cherry cupcakes light and fluffy.
- Homemade Cherry Buttercream - A smooth and creamy mixture of butter, powdered sugar, and cherry juice.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth.
- Gently mix in the cherry pie filling.
- Add the baking powder, flour, and cocoa powder and fold until no clumps remain.
- Transfer the cake batter to a lined cupcake tin and bake until set and springy to the touch.
- Frost the cooled chocolate cherry cupcakes, serve, and enjoy!
How To Make Cherry Buttercream Frosting
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting by whipping together the powdered sugar, butter, and cherry juice until thick and smooth.
Frequently Asked Questions
I always just use a can of premade cherry pie filling, but you can make your own pie filling to use in these cupcakes instead. I recommend making your cherry pie filling out of fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries.
All of the fruit juice in the cherry pie filling makes these chocolate cupcakes super moist! In a traditional cupcake recipe, I would recommend adding some Greek yogurt or sour cream to keep the cakes moist; however, this isn’t necessary for chocolate cherry cupcakes.
Don’t overmix your cupcake batter! I recommend gently folding all the ingredients together until you get a batter that has no clumps of dry ingredients. Overmixing will cause the fruit to sink to the bottom.
How to Store Cupcakes
Any leftover chocolate cherry cupcakes should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If possible, try to freeze these cupcakes before they are frosted. You can enjoy your leftover cupcakes chilled or at room temperature - it’s up to you!
Make It A Cake - Looking for a more elegant way to present this dessert? Bake your cherry chocolate cake batter into a sheet cake, round cake, or Bundt cake instead! Just be aware that the baking time will change depending on the size and shape of your cake.
Change The Pie Filling - Not a fan of cherry pie filling? You can use pretty much any kind of pie filling you’d like, just make sure that it pairs well with chocolate. Blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, or blackberry pie filling would all work really well.
Make Vanilla Cupcakes - If you’re not much of a chocoholic, you can use this recipe to create vanilla cherry cupcakes instead. Simply swap out the cocoa powder for additional flour and add an extra splash of vanilla extract.
Use Boxed Cake Mix - In a rush? You can make a similar version of this recipe with boxed cake mix instead. Prepare a box of chocolate cake mix according to package directions and mix in your can of cherry pie filling. In no time, you’ll have a chocolate cherry cake that’s moist and almost as delicious as if you had made it from scratch.
Here are a few helpful items that come in handy when making cupcakes. (Affiliate links).
- With this Wilton 12-Cup Non-Stick Muffin Pan you can bake a dozen cupcakes or muffins at once.
- This Piping Bag and Tips set are perfect to get you started with decorating cakes and cupcakes.
- Every kitchen needs this 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set from Pyrex.
Stay Connected! Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for the latest recipes.
I hope you enjoy these homemade Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cuo cherry pie filling
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cherry juice
- ½ cup salted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together the sugar and butter in a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients on a medium speed until combined.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and mix on medium-high speed until the eggs are fully beaten into the mixture.
- Mix in the cherry pie filling until it is blended evenly in the batter.
- Add the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder to the wet mixture. Start mixing the ingredients together on low speed and work your way up to medium-high speed until there are no clumps of flour or cocoa powder remaining.
- Fill a cupcake pan with liners and evenly divide the batter among the liners as best as you can.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for at least 20 minutes while you prepare the frosting.
- To make the frosting whisk together the powdered sugar, butter, and cherry juice until smooth and creamy.
- Frost your cupcakes and serve.