These Cherry Pie Filling Bars with a cream cheese glaze are absolutely delicious. A homemade dough is topped with canned cherry pie filling and baked to a light and fluffy texture.
Drizzle with a cream cheese glaze for a quick and easy semi-homemade dessert.
Easy Cherry Pie Bar Recipe With A Cream Cheese Glaze
These delicious Cherry Pie Filling Dessert Bars start with a homemade crust that is layered with canned cherry pie filling and topped with more crust. Once baked it's drizzled with a cream cheese glaze.
These bars are perfect when you need a easy dessert using ready-made canned cherry pie filling. Saves time because you don't have to worry about pitting the cherries.
You can't beat the convenience of canned fruit filling and it is budget friendly!
Two other great dessert recipes we like using canned cherry pie filling are mini cherry hand pies and Cherry Cheesecake Dip. We love cherry desserts year round!
Ingredients For The Bars
- all purpose flour
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- can cherry pie filling
Ingredients For Glaze
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How to Make Cherry Pie Filling Bars
To make your bars start by greasing your pan and preheating the oven.
In a bowl add your flour and salt then whisk and set aside.
Next cream your sugar and butter together, until it is light and fluffy in texture. Then add in eggs and vanilla.
Mix in the dry flour mixture, and spread ⅔ of the batter on the bottom of the pan.
Top with the cherry filling, and drop the remaining dough by spoonful's over the pie filling.
Bake as directed. As the bars are cooling prepare your cream cheese glaze. Drizzle over the pie
bars. Slice and serve.
I like to serve these bars with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Such a delicious dessert!
Tips For Making Cherry Pie Bars
- It's best to use use room temperature eggs and butter.
- Make sure to mix the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes before moving on. You really want it to become light and fluffy in texture so you get delicate and fluffy bars.
- You can use your fingers to gently press down the dough before spreading on cherry pie filling. This will help then cook evenly.
- Stick a toothpick in to test the batter of the bars to know when they are done. If the toothpick comes out clean the bars are done.
Variations To Pie Bars
- You can swap out the pie filling for other flavors such as blueberries, strawberries or apple.
- The cream cheese glaze is optional. You could also use a vanilla glaze or drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts or slivered almonds on top of cherries for added texture and crunch.
- Substitute homemade cherry pie filling in place of canned filling if you prefer.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Yes you can. This cherry dessert bar recipe is one that you can double very easily. If you double the ingredients just use a larger 9x13 pan or two 8x8 baking pans.
How To Store Cherry Bars
With the fruit filling and cream cheese glaze you will want to store these cherry pie bars in a airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I like to bring to room temperature before serving.
I hope you enjoy this easy delicious dessert recipe!
Cherry Pie Filling Bars With Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
Ingredients for the glaze
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and continue mixing to combine.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spread ⅔ of the batter in the bottom of the prepared pan. Using your fingers press the dough into the pan until the dough is spread evenly.
- Add the cherry pie filling on top of the crust.
- Drop the remaining crust dough by the spoonful over the cherry pie filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes - until the top crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- When cherry bars are done remove from the oven and allow to cool. Make the cream cheese glaze while bars are cooling.
- Make the cream cheese glaze by beating together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and two tablespoons of milk until smooth. Add more milk if needed to reach your desired consistency.
- When the bars are cooled, drizzle the glaze over the top and cut into nine even bars.