This Chicken Mushroom Soup is a comforting and flavorful dish that's easy to prepare. Made with simple ingredients like chicken, mushrooms, carrots, and spinach, this soup is hearty and delicious.
I love this Creamy Chicken Mushroom room on chilly weeknights. It is so easy to throw together and full of delicious flavors!
I love whipping up this Chicken Mushroom Soup for my mushroom loving husband!
The best part is the prep takes just 15 minutes, and in another 20, you've got a pot full of comfort. This creamy soup has pretty wholesome ingredients and I highly recommend it if you love mushrooms.
I usually serve it with a side of crusty bread or maybe a simple salad. It's a winner on chilly nights or when you need a quick, comforting meal.
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Oil: Used to cook the chicken and veggies.
- Chicken breasts: Makes the soup hearty and full of protein.
- Onion: Adds a savory base and a bit of crunch.
- Carrots: Adds sweetness and a pop of color.
- Celery: Adds a subtle freshness and some extra texture.
- Cremini mushrooms: The star of the show, which adds an earthy, umami flavor to the mix.
- Italian seasoning: A blend of herbs that gives the soup its distinctive, aromatic taste.
- Pepper: Adds just a bit of heat.
- Salt: Balances out the flavors.
- Flour (optional): Thickens things up a bit, but you can skip it for a lighter version.
- Chicken broth: Forms the savory base of the soup.
- Spinach: Wilts into the broth, bringing freshness.
- Half and half: Brings in a creamy richness, tying everything together.
Soup Substitutions and Variations
- Add wild rice. Add cooked wild rice for a heartier texture and earthy flavor. It's a great way to turn it into a complete meal.
- Use coconut milk. Substitute the half and half with coconut milk for a creamy coconut chicken mushroom soup. It's a tasty departure from the classic.
- Add cheese. Stir in some grated Parmesan or melt in a bit of cream cheese for added richness. Cheese makes everything better, right?
How To Make Chicken Mushroom Soup
Heat your oil in a pot over medium heat. Toss in the chicken, onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink and the veggies soften up.
Now, add in the sliced mushrooms and let them cook for another minute. Time for the seasoning - sprinkle in the Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt. If you want a thicker soup, add in some flour now.
Next, pour in the chicken broth, cover it up, and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Once the lid comes off, stir in the spinach and pour in the half and half. Keep stirring until the spinach wilts, and you've got a creamy, veggie-packed soup!
Make Ahead, Storing and Freezing
Make Ahead: If you're planning ahead, you can prepare the soup 24 hours in advance. Transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate promptly. Reheat on the stovetop before serving.
Storing: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
Freezing: To freeze the soup for later, look for a freezer-friendly container and leave a bit of space for expansion. It will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Adjust the amount of half and half to your liking. If you want it richer, add a bit more. If you're watching calories, a tad less won't hurt.
- If you have fresh herbs on hand, like parsley or thyme, toss them in at the end. It adds a burst of freshness.
- A squeeze of lemon juice just before serving can brighten up the flavors. It's a little secret to elevate the dish.
- Try the leftovers as a sauce! Thicken it up a bit more and pour it over pasta or rice for a quick and tasty meal the next day.
Soup Recipe FAQs
Can I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Absolutely! Chicken thighs bring a bit more flavor and tenderness to the soup. Just ensure they are cooked through before moving on to the next steps.
What can I use as a substitute for Crimini mushrooms?
You can always use white mushrooms, portobello (or baby bella), shiitake mushrooms, or even oyster mushrooms!
What herbs can I use if I don’t have Italian seasoning?
To substitute Italian seasoning, use 2 parts oregano, 2 parts basil, 2 parts thyme, 1 part rosemary, 1 part marjoram, and 1 part sage.
It's soup season and here are a few more favorite soup recipes to try!
Get ready to fall in love with this Chicken Mushroom Soup – a comforting bowl packed with tender chicken, hearty veggies, and a flavorful broth that's both easy to make and impossible to resist. I can’t wait for you to try it!
Chicken Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts (cut into1-inch cubes)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (optional for thickening soup)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup half and half
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add in the chicken, onion, carrots, and celery.
- Sauté until the chicken is no longer pink and the vegetables are softened (don’t worry about it getting cooked through since you’ll continue cooking it).
- Add mushrooms, and continue cooking for another minute.
- Mix in the seasonings and the flour if using.
- Stir in chicken broth, cover, and bring to a medium-low simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover, and stir in the spinach and half and half.
- Stir until spinach is wilted and half and half is heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!