This Easy Chicken and Rice Soup is made with simple ingredients and only takes 30 minutes for a quick dinner that everyone will love.
Fresh vegetables, seasonings, rice, chicken and broth make a nourishing and comforting bowl of soup that is delicious served year round.
This soup is perfect for those cold rainy days when you want something to warm you up. It's also comforting on sick days when you want something nourishing.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Cooked Chicken - I like to use rotisserie chicken in this recipe.
- White Rice - I used uncooked long grain white rice.
- Butter - For sautéing vegetables.
- Vegetables - Small onion, celery and carrots.
- Garlic - You will need one clove of garlic minced.
- Liquid - Chicken Stock and water.
- Fresh Herbs - parsley, thyme and sage.
- Salt and pepper to taste
How To Make This Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
When the butter is melted, add the onion, celery, and carrot. Cook until the vegetables are softened, then add the garlic and continue cooking an additional minute.
Add the chicken broth and water and stir to mix. Bring the broth to a boil.
Add the chicken, rice, parsley, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the rice is softened, around 30 minutes.
How To Store
Allow the soup to cook and store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Make sure you use uncooked long grain rice. I like to use the Lundberg Family Farms brand of rice. You can also use white basmati rice or white jasmine rice. Do not use Minute rice or it will turn out mushy. If you use brown rice it may take longer to cook.
- You can save time by using shredded or diced Rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken. You can also cook chicken breasts or chicken thighs to add to the soup.
- Use a high quality chicken broth or stock for a more flavorful soup.
Use a good quality long grain rice like Lundberg Family Farms rice. If you only have Minute Rice available to use you can cook it separately and then add the rice to each bowl before serving. But keep in mind that you won’t need as much broth if you add cooked minute rice since it won’t soak as much liquid up.
Diced or shredded Rotisserie chicken works well in this soup. You can also use cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
More Easy Soup Recipes
I hope you enjoy this Chicken and Rice Soup! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely copped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the onion, celery, and carrot. Cook until the vegetables are softened, then add the garlic and continue cooking an additional minute.
- Add the chicken broth and water and stir to mix. Bring the broth to a boil.
- Next add the chicken, rice, parsley, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the rice is softened, around 30 minutes.