If you like snickerdoodles then you will LOVE our Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookie! These delicious cookie sandwiches feature two chewy snickerdoodle cookies held together by a layer of sweet cream cheese frosting.
The warm cinnamon spice and the cream cheese frosting pair perfectly for a delicious treat. These cookies are an easy one-hour dessert recipe that everyone will love.
My snickerdoodle sandwich cookies have all the best parts of homemade chewy snickerdoodle cookies combined with the creamy, decadent goodness of a classic whoopie pie.
These are similar to whoopie pies but instead of a marshmallow cream filling these have a cream cheese filling. So good!
You get a thick and creamy cream cheese frosting that is sandwiched between two extra chewy cinnamon snickerdoodle cookies to create one of the best fall treats!
This dessert is just begging to be paired with a mug full of hot apple cider, a few cozy blankets, and your favorite holiday movie!
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Ground Cinnamon - The key to giving these cookies that classic “snickerdoodle” flavor!
- All-Purpose Flour - Gives your finished cookies the perfect chewy and fluffy texture.
- Sugar - Granulated white will add a nice crunch to the outside of these snickerdoodle whoopie pies.
- Butter - Salted and softened.
- Eggs - The binding agent that holds all your other cookie ingredients together.
- Baking Soda - Gives your snickerdoodles just the right amount of puff.
- Cream of Tartar - Just a bit will help to make your finished cookies extra chewy!
- Cream Cheese Filling - A whipped mixture of cream cheese and powdered sugar.
Sandwich Cookies Recipe Variations
Add to the natural fall flavor of these snickerdoodle sandwich cookies by adding a bit of molasses to the cookie dough! The resulting cookies will have a warm caramelly flavor that pairs beautifully with the sweet cream cheese filling.
Not a fan of cream cheese frosting? You can fill these with any kind of frosting or creamy spread that you like! Spread on some marshmallow fluff, cookie butter, vanilla buttercream, or caramel buttercream.
These sandwich cookies are decadent. Make them a little lighter by making them miniature size! Simply roll your cookie dough into balls that are only one tablespoon in size and bake for slightly less time.
The resulting miniature sandwich cookies will be perfect for after-school snacking or to fill a holiday gift basket!
How To Make Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and majority of the sugar until light and fluffy then add the eggs and mix again until smooth.
Gently whisk in the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and half of the cinnamon until just incorporated. Set aside.
In a shallow dish or bowl, whisk together the remaining granulated sugar and cinnamon.
Form the snickerdoodle dough into balls and roll each in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Bake until the edges of each cookie are golden brown. Allow them to cool completely.
In a smaller mixing bowl, whip together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
Sandwich a dollop of the cream cheese frosting between two of your cooled snickerdoodle cookies. Repeat until all the cookies have been used.
How To Store Sandwich Cookies
Since these are made with a cream cheese filling, I recommend storing them in the refrigerator in an airtight container or Ziplock bag.
When stored properly, these will stay fresh for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. You can enjoy them chilled, but I prefer to eat them when they’ve warmed up to room temperature.
- It will be easier to whip your frosting into a smooth consistency if you start with room temperature cream cheese!
- I like to pipe the cream cheese frosting onto these whoopie pies, but you could also simply spread the frosting on with a knife.
- Make sure that your snickerdoodle cookies are cooled completely before adding the cream cheese frosting. Otherwise, the frosting might melt!
Frequently Asked Questions
Sandwich cookies have a cream cheese filling or flavored frosting between two chewy cookies. Traditional whoopie pies are filled with marshmallow fluff between two cake like cookies.
These snickerdoodle cookies have a chewy texture and a distinct cinnamon flavor. The cookie dough is rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking.
If you love baking here are a few more cookie recipes you might like to try!
- Brownie Cookies
- Pink Lemonade Cookies with Buttercream Filling
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies
I hope you enjoy these Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounce block of cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- While the oven is preheating, prepare your cookie dough. Use an electric hand mixer to cream the butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Once the butter and sugar are homogenous, add the eggs and mix again until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Gently whisk in the dry ingredients until they are fully incorporated into the cookie dough.
- Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Form the cookie dough into round balls about 2 tablespoons in size. Roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 8 cookies at a time for 12 minutes. Once baked, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and cool for 30 minutes.
- While the cookies cool, use a hand mixer to whisk the cream cheese and powdered sugar together in a medium sized bowl.
- Use a knife, spatula, or piping bag to cover the bottom of half the cookies with cream cheese frosting .Add another cookie on top of the frosting to form the cookie sandwiches.
- Serve and enjoy!