This easy and delicious Chicken Parmesan Stromboli recipe combines the flavor of two classic comfort foods into one family-friendly meal. You won’t believe how simple it is to make this flavorful dinner!
Chicken parmesan and stromboli are both classic Italian recipes. But what if you could combine both delicious dishes into one amazing meal?
With this chicken stromboli recipe, you can create an amazing stuffed sandwich made with simple ingredients that is perfect for lunch or dinner.
Using premade pizza dough and frozen chicken tenders, you can whip up this flavor-packed dinner with just a few minutes of prep work. And the best part is that you can make it with just eight ingredients!
Another great recipe using premade pizza dough are these Pepperoni Breadsticks. There is nothing wrong with taking shortcuts sometimes to get dinner on the table quicker.
Using premade ingredients helps to speed up the prep work for those busy weeknights when you don't have a lot of time.
Ingredients To Make Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Pizza dough - I used Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough. You can also use homemade pizza dough if you prefer.
- Chicken strips - Use your favorite brand of frozen chicken strips.
- Seasonings - Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Pizza sauce - You can use your favorite pizza sauce or make your own.
- Mozzarella cheese - I prefer to shred my own cheese but you can use pre-shredded cheese to save time.
- Butter - Make sure to use butter and not margarine for best flavor.
- Grated parmesan cheese
How To Make Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
Before you can start stuffing your pizza dough with all that chicken and cheese, you’ll need to prepare your chicken strips.
Arrange the frozen chicken on a baking sheet and top each piece with Italian seasoning and garlic powder to give it more chicken parmesan flavor. Then bake the chicken according to the instructions on the package.
When the chicken strips are finished baking, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. Then cut the strips into bite-sized pieces and set them aside while you prepare your dough.
Open the pizza dough container and unroll the dough. Stretch it out slightly until all the sides are even.
Arrange the chicken pieces on one half of the dough. Top the chicken with a layer of pizza sauce and a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Next carefully pull the other side of the pizza dough over the top of the filling ingredients. You may need to stretch the dough slightly to fit over the top of all the chicken pieces.
Pull the dough to the edge and press the seams together to seal the crust. Then use a knife to cut small slits in the top of the crust to help steam vent from the stromboli as it cooks.
Finish prepping your stromboli by brushing the top of the crust with melted butter. Top your stromboli with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and grated parmesan cheese. Then place the sandwich in the oven to bake.
Allow the stromboli to bake for around 15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Give the crust around five minutes to rest, then slice and serve your stromboli.
How To Store and Reheat
Since this stuffed sandwich is prepared with pizza crust and frozen chicken, it tastes best when it’s enjoyed right away. But if you have leftovers, they should be stored in the refrigerator.
Transfer the leftover pieces to an airtight container and keep them refrigerated. The stromboli will stay good for up to three days.
For the best results, reheat the stromboli in the oven at 350 degrees until heated through, usually between five and 10 minutes.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
Once you try making your own stromboli at home, you’ll want to make it over and over again! And with the help of these recipe ideas, you can adjust your chicken parm sandwiches according to your family’s flavor preferences.
- Use homemade pizza dough. If you have a great recipe for pizza dough that you would prefer to use in place of the store-bought variety, go right ahead. After you prepare your dough, make sure to roll or stretch it into an even rectangle for best results.
- Try shredded chicken. To lighten up the recipe and cut down on the prep work in making it, replace the chicken tenders with shredded chicken. You can use pre-cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken in place of baked chicken tenders.
- Serve with sauce for dipping. Although this stromboli recipe features sauce baked right in, you can’t go wrong with more sauce. Serve your sliced stromboli with extra pizza sauce for dipping to add even more flavor to your meal.
- Make it with crescent roll dough. In addition to pizza dough, you can also prepare your stromboli with crescent roll dough. For best results use crescent roll dough sheets. Or simply pinch the seams of traditional crescent roll dough together to form a solid sheet. After, that follow the recipe as written.
If you love easy dinner recipes here are a few more of our favorite you might like to try.
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Ground Beef Fried Rice
- Cajun Chicken and Sausage Skillet
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders On Hawaiian Rolls
I hope you enjoy this Chicken Parmesan Stromboli! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Chicken Parmesan Stromboli Recipe
- 1 package pizza dough
- 5 - 6 frozen chicken strips
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ⅓ cup pizza sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the chicken strips on the baking sheet and spray each chicken strip with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle half the Italian seasoning and half the garlic powder over the top of each piece of chicken. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the crust is crispy, then remove the chicken tenders from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
- When the chicken tenders are done baking, line another baking sheet with parchment paper and unroll the pizza dough on the pan.
- Cut the chicken strips into small pieces and arrange the pieces on one half of the dough.
- Top the chicken pieces with the pizza sauce and the mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the toppings, stretching it to reach across to the other edge. Pinch the seams together to seal the dough around all three edges.
- Brush the melted butter over the top of the dough and sprinkle the top with the remaining Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese.
- Use a knife to cut four to five small slits in the top to vent while the stromboli cooks.
- Bake the stromboli for around 15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow to rest for five minutes before slicing and serving.