These Pepperoni Breadsticks are packed with pizza flavor and are prepared with premade pizza dough so you can bake them in a matter of minutes!
You won’t believe how easy it is to make your own stuffed breadsticks at home with the help of store-bought dough. These cheesy sticks come together with just a few minutes of prep work in the kitchen.
Breadsticks are a classic side dish to any Italian meal – from pizza to pasta. But why serve plain breadsticks when you can easily take the flavor up a notch with the help of some Italian meat and cheese.
Whether you’re serving homemade pasta, warm bowls of soup, or simple salads, this stuffed bread recipe is perfect. Here are a few of our favorite dishes to serve with these breadsticks.
- Pizza Pasta Bake
- Instant Pot Spaghetti With Meat Sauce
- Baked Lasagna Garlic Bread Bowls
- Italian Pasta Bake
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
All you need are a few simple ingredients to make these easy pepperoni stuffed breadsticks.
- Pizza dough
- String cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
How To Make Pepperoni Breadsticks
To make your own stuffed bread, just follow these easy instructions.
Start by unrolling the pizza dough and rolling or stretching it out until it’s around ¼ inch thick. Once the dough is evenly stretched, use a pizza cutter to cut it into six evenly sized strips.
After you have your dough cut, it’s time to start stuffing! First place a piece of string cheese on the bottom half of each strip. Then top the cheese with four slices of pepperoni.
Now that your dough is stuffed, turn the strips of dough into breadsticks by folding the top end of each strip over the pepperoni and cheese. Seal all the edges of each breadstick by pressing the seams of the dough between your fingers.
Place each stuffed breadstick on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to coat the top of each stick with melted butter and sprinkle parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning on top.
Bake your breadsticks in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. You’ll know your sticks are finished baking when the dough is golden brown and the cheese in the middle is melted.
Recommended Kitchen Tools (Affiliate links).
- Baking Sheet - My favorite are the Wilton brand baking sheets.
- Pastry Brush
- Cutting Board - I have this set of Gorilla Grip cutting boards which comes with 3 different sizes and comes in a variety of colors.
How To Store and Reheat
Simply place any leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator. They’ll stay good for up to three days.
To reheat the stuffed breadsticks, warm them up in a 350 degree oven for around 5 minutes or in the air fryer for three minutes until they’re warmed through.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
Everyone in your family is sure to love these gooey, cheese stuffed breadsticks! And here are a few variations and substitution ideas to change it up just a little bit.
- Use homemade dough. Making these stuffed breadsticks with premade pizza dough is the quickest and easiest way to prepare them. But if you have extra time on your hands, make your favorite pizza dough recipe from scratch to use instead!
- Serve with dipping sauce. You can’t have breadsticks without sauce! Serve your pepperoni sticks with warm marinara sauce, melted garlic butter, alfredo sauce, ranch dressing, or cheese dip.
- Try different cheese. String cheese is the simplest way to stuff your breadsticks because it’s the perfect size. But if you want to change things up, you can ty using slices of fresh mozzarella, pepper jack sticks, cheddar cheese sticks, or Colby jack sticks. Using shredded cheese isn’t a good idea with this recipe because it’s difficult to stuff inside your dough.
- Leave out the pepperoni. If you’re not a fan of this popular pizza topping, simply leave out the pepperoni slices when making your stuffed breadsticks. The cheesy filling will still taste amazing without the added slices of meat!
- Stuff with different pizza toppings. Pepperoni slices are the easiest topping to add to the center of your cheese sticks. But if you want to get creative with other toppings, make sure to use small toppings like crumbled sausage, chopped bacon, sliced salami, or sliced olives.
- Spice it up. Add some spiciness to your stuffed breadsticks by topping the pizza dough with crushed red pepper. You can also take the spice level up a notch by using spicy pepperoni, adding thinly sliced jalapeno peppers to the inside of the breadsticks, or stuffing the breadsticks with pepper jack cheese.
I hope you enjoy these Pepperoni Breadsticks! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Pepperoni Breadsticks Recipe
- 1 package of premade pizza dough
- 6 pieces string cheese
- 24 pepperoni slices
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with nonstick cooking spray.
- Unroll the pizza dough and use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into six even strips.
- Put one piece of string cheese on the bottom of each strip of dough.
- Arrange four slices of pepperoni on top of each piece of string cheese.
- Carefully fold the other end of the dough strip over the top of the cheese and pepperoni, stretching the dough over the stuffing and pinching the seams together to seal each side.
- Arrange the breadsticks on the baking sheet then brush with butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake the breadsticks for 15 minutes, until the breadsticks are golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!