This colorful and sweet Strawberry Sheet Cake is the perfect dessert to serve to a crowd. It's made from-scratch cake and topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting made with fresh strawberries. This is the perfect dessert to finish off any meal!
Sheet cakes are known for their delicious simplicity and are one of the best cake recipes to feed a crowd. This fresh strawberry sheet cake is no different because it's made in a 9x14 inch baking dish so there is plenty to share.
This sheet cake recipe is easy to make and in no time, you’ll have a beautiful pink, strawberry cake ready to serve at your next dinner party, potluck, or birthday celebration. Another delicious option is this Strawberry Bundt Cake With Cream Filling.
This easy cake is bursting with delicious strawberry flavor and is the perfect summer dessert. You will be amazed at how easy it is to make and bake this delicious cake.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Strawberries - Fresh diced berries will add tons of sweet, juicy flavor to your cake.
- Strawberry Jell-O - Gives this cake a delicate strawberry flavor and adorable pink color.
- Cream Cheese - The creamy and tangy base of your fresh strawberry frosting.
- Flour - All-purpose, whole wheat, or your favorite gluten-free flour blend.
- Butter - Salted and softened.
- Sugar - Granulated sugar sweetens the cake base while powdered sugar rounds out the frosting.
- Eggs - Keeps your finished cake moist and spongey.
- Milk - I like the richness that whole milk brings to this dessert but you can use any kind of milk you prefer.
- Leavening Agents - A mixture of baking powder and baking soda will make your cake light and fluffy.
Not a big fan of strawberries? You can make this cake with almost any kind of fruit. Just be sure that you can get a coordinating fruit-flavored Jell-O mix. Cherry, lemon, raspberry and orange are some of my favorites!
How to Make Strawberry Sheet Cake
Use an electric mixer to cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and smooth. Then add the eggs and milk and mix until blended.
Gently fold in the Jell-O powder, flour, baking powder, and baking soda just until combined.
Transfer the cake batter to a well-greased 9x14 inch baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the strawberry sheet cake to cool in the fridge.
How To Make Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whip together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and diced strawberries.
Use a spatula or palate knife to spread the frosting over the top of the cooled cake.
Slice, serve, and enjoy!
How To Store Cake
You can store any leftover cake in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap or transferred to an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Sheet Cake Recipe Tips
- The strawberries make this frosting a little softer and more temperamental than regular cream cheese frosting. Because of this I recommend storing this cake in the refrigerator until it is ready to be served. I enjoy the crisp strawberry flavor of this cake more when it is served cold.
- A chilling period once the cake has been frosted will help the frosting firm up a bit which makes it easier to get nice clean slices.
- Soften the butter to room temperature before using to make it easier to cream with the sugar. It's ready when pressed with your fingers and it leaves a slight indent in the butter.
- Use a toothpick or skewer to check and see if this cake is done. Add an additional five minutes as needed. It can be tricky to know when the cake is done since you can’t tell by looking at it like you can with a vanilla cake.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Simply fold 1-2 cups of finely chopped strawberries into your cake batter before baking. The resulting sheet cake will be super moist and have a very strong berry flavor. Be aware that cakes with fresh fruit in them won’t last as long as regular cakes. If you choose to include cut strawberries in your cake batter, the finished sheet cake will last up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
Fresh strawberries work best for this recipe. However, you can use frozen strawberries that have been thawed in the fridge if that's all you have available.
If you need more delicious cake recipe ideas here are a few of our favorites to try!
- Lime Sheet Cake Dessert Squares
- Pineapple Poke Cake
- Lemon Meringue Poke Cake
- Glazed Orange Bundt Cake
- Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting
I hope you enjoy this Strawberry Sheet Cake! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Strawberry Sheet Cake Recipe
- 1 cup salted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounce packet strawberry Jello powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x14 inch baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine your butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric hand mixer to cream the ingredients together until smooth.
- Once the butter and sugar are smooth, add the eggs and milk. Mix again until the eggs and milk are blended with the creamed sugar.
- Gently whisk in the Jello powder, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until no pockets of flour or other dry ingredients remain in the cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth out the top.
- Bake your cake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick can be cleanly removed from the center of the pan.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Once the cake has cooled, prepare the frosting by using a hand mixer to whisk the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and diced strawberries together on medium-high speed. Mix until smooth.
- Use a spatula to spread the frosting over the cake evenly.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!