This delicious Greek Quinoa Salad is loaded with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, Kalamata olives, feta, and topped with a homemade vinaigrette dressing. Enjoy the perfect combination of flavors in this easy summer salad.
I love a good fresh salad for lunch and this one changes it up a little bit with the addition of quinoa. This salad is easy to make. Cook the quinoa, chop the vegetables and make the dressing. Just three steps and 20-minutes to a delicious salad.
Why You Will Love This Salad
- Delicious: This Quinoa salad is loaded with nutrients and flavor. It's a refreshing summer salad.
- Easy to Make: You can whip this salad up in no time. As the quinoa cooks prep your veggies. In 20 minutes you have satisfying salad ready to serve.
- Simple Ingredients: It takes just a few simple ingredients to make this salad and homemade dressing.
- Versatile: You can use any type of produce you have on hand. Easy to change it up to create a custom salad they way you like it.
- Make Ahead Friendly: This is a great make-ahead side dish for a potluck or summer BBQ.
You can also make your next summer cookout a little extra special by serving this as a side salad with some corn on the cob along with whatever meat your are grilling. And don't forget to serve some delicious ice cream like this No Churn Almond Joy Ice Cream.
Ingredients For Salad
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Quinoa - You will reach for dry quinoa that you will cook in water and then drain and rinse.
- Tomatoes - Sliced cherry or grape tomatoes both work great for this salad.
- Cucumbers - You can peel or leave the skins on the cucumbers. Thinly slice into bite-size pieces.
- Red Onion - If you are not a huge fan of onions you can always leave the onion out. White or yellow onions can be swapped in.
- Kalamata Olives - Slice them into smaller pieces. You could also swap with black olives.
- Feta Cheese - I recommend buying a block of Feta cheese and crumbling it yourself.
Ingredients For Salad Dressing
- Extra Virgin Oil - This olive oil is the base of the salad dressing.
- Red Wine Vinegar - The vinegar gives the dressing a nice tangy bite.
- Lemon - Squeeze out some fresh lemon juice for this recipe. The citrus balances the flavors.
- Salt - The salt will enhance the quinoa, veggies and dressing.
Variations to Recipe
- You can use a store-bought Greek dressing instead of making homemade if you prefer.
- Add in some diced roasted red peppers for added flavor.
- Leave out what you don't like and add in different produce.
- Swap out the feta with diced mozzarella.
How to Make Greek Quinoa Salad
- Cook Quinoa: Rinse the quinoa in cold water and then cook quinoa as directed on the package. Once done allow to cool.
- Prep Vegetables: While the quinoa is cooking prep all the vegetables. Dice and place in a bowl.
- Dressing: Drizzle oil, vinegar, lemon, and salt in a bowl. Whisk well and then toss with the veggies and cooled quinoa.
- Serve and enjoy.
Storing Leftover Salad
Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I like to eat any leftover salad cold straight out of the refrigerator.
- Thoroughly rinse it with cold water before cooking it. Even if it says it's pre-rinsed I still give it an additional rinse. This helps gets rid of the bitter taste.
- Once the quinoa is done make sure you allow it time to cool. Otherwise, it will wilt your vegetables. You can spread the quinoa into a thin layer to help it cool quickly.
- Make sure to chop the vegetables small so they are bite-size pieces.
- The dressing combined with the olives is fairly tart, but the sweetness of the tomatoes balances it out nicely. If it is too tart use less olives.
- For more lemon flavor add some lemon zest to enhance the flavor.
Usually in a salad the quinoa is served cold so it doesn't wilt the vegetables. As a side dish by itself you can serve it warm. It can also be used in place of rice in some dishes and combined with vegetables and meat to make easy main dish.
Yes! It tastes delicious with this salad but if you don't like feta cheese you can leave it out. Fresh mozzarella cheese pearls would also be good in this salad.
I hope you enjoy this Greek Quinoa Salad recipe! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Greek Quinoa Salad Recipe
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup English cucumbers sliced
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives sliced
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water.
- In a saucepan add quinoa and water. Cover and simmer over medium heat until quinoa is tender. About 15 minutes.
- Remove lid from quinoa, and let cool. To speed the cooling process, spread it out in a thinner layer in a wide salad bowl or on cookie sheet.
- Combine cooled quinoa with tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives, and feta cheese.
- Make the dressing by combining olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt in bowl. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat.