These delicious slow cooker beef tips and gravy make an amazing comfort food dinner that everyone in the family will love. And since it can be prepared with just a few simple ingredients, it’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
With just a few minutes of prep work in the kitchen, you can enjoy tender beef topped with a flavorful brown gravy for dinner!
Slow-cooking beef tips will give you perfectly tender meat with a deep flavor in a rich brown gravy.
See the printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
You can make your homemade beef tips with just a few simple ingredients! All you need to whip up this easy slow cooker recipe is:
- Top Sirloin - A tender cut of meat with that has a bold, beefy flavor. Perfect for cutting into cubes for beef tips.
- Onion - Finely chopped small onion for flavor.
- Beef broth - This is the base for the gravy and adds rich beefy flavor. You can use low-sodium beef broth if you want to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Worcestershire sauce - The savory umami taste enhances the flavor of the gravy and beef tips.
- Minced garlic - You can mince your own garlic or use the jar of minced garlic to save time.
- Italian seasoning - Adds lots of flavor to the beef tips and gravy. You can use homemade or store bought.
- Cornstarch - Helps to thicken the gravy.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This dump-and-go main course is quick enough for a weeknight dinner but hearty enough for a Sunday meal. But the best part about this slow cooker recipe is how simple it is to prepare! Just follow these easy instructions for cooking your beef tips at home.
How To Make Slow Cooker Beef Tips
Start by preparing the sirloin by cutting the larger piece of meat into bite-sized pieces. This will help the meat cook faster, allowing it to get tender more quickly.
Add the beef cubes to the bowl of your slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Then, top the meat with chopped onions.
After that, whisk the gravy together by combining the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and cornstarch.
When all the gravy ingredients are well mixed, pour the sauce over the top of the beef and onion. Lightly press the beef pieces into the sauce to make sure they’re all submerged.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and set it to cook on high for six hours or low for three hours. The beef tips are ready to serve when the meat is tender, and the gravy has thickened.
How Do I Thicken Gravy in the Slow Cooker?
A delicious part of this slow cooker recipe is the flavorful gravy that coats the beef tips. Since this recipe is made with cornstarch, it should thicken as the recipe cooks in the Crockpot. But if it doesn’t, here are a few things you can do to help your gravy thicken.
- Turn up the heat. One simple way to help the gravy thicken is to turn up the heat in the slow cooker. Turn the dial to high and replace the lid. Allow the liquid to simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes to help the sauce thicken.
- Add more cornstarch. You can also help the gravy thicken more quickly by adding more cornstarch. Combine two tablespoons of cornstarch with two tablespoons of cold water, then pour the slurry mixture into the crockpot. Replace the lid and cook on high for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the gravy to thicken.
- Transfer it to a saucepan. If the gravy hasn’t thickened with the crockpot on high, it may not get hot enough for the sauce to thicken correctly. If that’s the case, remove the beef cubes from the gravy and transfer the liquid to a saucepan. Cook over medium heat and allow the gravy to simmer until thick.
How to Store And Reheat
If you have any leftovers, they should be stored in the refrigerator. Transfer the leftover beef tips and gravy to an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to three days.
You can reheat the beef in the microwave or a saucepan over medium-low heat until the meat is heated through.
Ways To Serve Beef Tips
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy your beef tips and gravy, and they are all good. Try one of these serving ideas to round out your meal for dinner tonight.
- Over mashed potatoes. The most popular way to serve your beef tips is with mashed potatoes. Top a bed of potatoes with the meat cubes and gravy for a hearty dinner.
- Mixed with egg noodles. Another simple way to enjoy your cooked beef is with some egg noodles. Prepare the noodles according to the package instructions, then stir them into the beef tips and gravy for a complete meal in one.
- With vegetables on the side. Skip the carbs and serve your beef tips and gravy with your favorite vegetables on the side. This main course will pair well with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans.
What Type of Beef is Best for Beef Tips?
Beef tips are typically made with the discards of a larger cut of beef. But that doesn’t mean you can’t purchase a cut of beef specifically for making this recipe! When it comes to making beef tips at home, you have your choice of different cuts, including:
- Stew meat
- Chuck roast
- Round roast
Here are a few more delicious slow cooker recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker Meatballs And Gravy
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef
- Easy Slow Cooker Roast Beef
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
These slow cooker beef tips will quickly become a family favorite. So flavorful and tender and perfect served over rice or mashed potatoes.
Slow Cooker Beef Tips Recipe
- 3 pounds Top Sirloin (cubed)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange the beef in the bottom of the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the chopped onions.
- Combine the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, and cornstarch. Pour over the top of the beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours until the beef is cooked through and the gravy is thickened.