My Air Fryer Whole Chicken recipe has a simple yet flavorful spice rub and is easy to make in the air fryer. This is a chicken recipe the whole family will love!
When you air fry a whole chicken, you get a versatile main course that will go with absolutely any side dishes! The chicken stays moist and juicy and takes just one hour to cook.
This whole chicken makes an absolutely delicious main course on its own. It's so tender and delicious.
You can also shred the chicken to use it in other recipes like tacos, chicken salad, casseroles and so much more.
If you usually buy the grocery store rotisserie chicken now you can use this recipe to make it at home. It's easy to make a rotisserie chicken in the air fryer! You control the ingredients and can make it your way.
The spice rub I have used is completely adjustable to your tastes, so change it up to make it perfect for your family.
Why You Will Love This Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Simple - Cooking a whole chicken can be a little intimidating, but this recipe is so simple and takes out all the guesswork.
- Versatile - You can adjust the spices and seasonings to suit your preferences.
- Healthy - There are few things healthier than roasted chicken. Just a dash of olive oil is used in this recipe, making it as wholesome as they come.
- Multiple Uses - This recipe makes a beautiful roasted chicken that can be carved up for dinner, but you can also shred the meat to use in various ways.
This recipe is so versatile that it goes with anything! It is plenty juicy on its own, but you could serve it with gravy if you’d like. Make homemade gravy with this turkey gravy recipe. Just use chicken stock instead of turkey stock.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Whole Chicken- I used a 4.5 lb. chicken to make this recipe. (Kirkland Organic Whole Chicken)
- Olive Oil- Rubbing with olive oil will ensure the skin gets crispy and the seasoning soaks deep into the meat.
- Spice mix that includes salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and dried oregano.
The seasoning for this air fryer whole chicken is completely adjustable. Here are some ideas for changing up the flavor:
- Leave out the red pepper flakes or add more to adjust the spice level. You can also add cayenne pepper to make it even spicier.
- For a more herbal flavor, try Herbs de Provence- a blend of lavender, fennel, marjoram, thyme, basil, tarragon, oregano, and bay leaf
- Try Cajun or Creole seasoning in place of the salt.
- Try adding cumin for an earthy flavor.
How To Make Air Fryer Whole Chicken
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
In a small bowl, combine the spices and herbs and stir until well combined.
Remove the chicken from the package and remove the giblets then pat dry the chicken with a paper towel.
Optional: Tie the chicken using kitchen string by placing the string under the chicken, over the thighs, then under the legs, finally bringing the string together. Tie the string to secure.
Drizzle the chicken with olive oil, coating completely then sprinkle the spice mixture over the top of the chicken, ensuring that the chicken is completely coated.
Lower the temperature of your air fryer to 350 degrees then place the chicken in the air fryer basket breast side down and cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over and cook breast side up for 20-30 minutes (the cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken).
When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees in the breast, remove it from the air fryer. Cover it, and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
Storing and Freezing
Refrigerator - Once the chicken has completely cooled, remove the meat and place it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezer - To freeze leftover chicken, remove the meat and place in a freezer safe airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- I use a Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer. Since air fryers vary from brand to brand, be sure to use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- Starting with the chicken facing breast side down will allow the breasts to be super juicy, and the skin will be crisp when it’s done.
- The chicken I used weighed 4.5 lbs. Smaller chickens may need less cooking time, and bigger chickens will need more cooking time.
A 4.5 lb. chicken takes about 55 minutes to cook. Adjust your cooking time based on the size and weight of your chicken. Cook until the internal temperature of chicken breast reaches 165°F on a meat thermometer.
I preheated the air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) and then dropped the temperature to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) before putting the chicken in the air fry.
Here are a few more Air Fryer Recipes to try!
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Easy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
I can’t wait for you to try this easy Air Fryer Whole Chicken recipe! Your family will love the juicy chicken, and you’ll love how quick and simple the recipe is.
If you try it, be sure to come back here to rate the recipe and leave a comment.
Air Fryer Whole Chicken Recipe
- 4 to 5 pound whole chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1½ teaspoons Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoons Dried Parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and oregano. Stir until everything is well combined, then set aside.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- Remove the chicken from the package and remove the giblets from the center.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- **This step is optional. Tie the chicken using some kitchen string by placing the string under the chicken, over the thighs, then under the legs, finally bringing the string together, which will bring the legs together, and tie in a knot or a bow.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the chicken making sure to coat the chicken fully.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the top of the chicken making sure the whole chicken is fully coated with seasoning.
- Lower the temperature of your air fryer to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket breast side down and cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Turn the chicken over and cook breast side up for 20-30 minutes (the cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken).
- Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) in the breast, remove the chicken from the air fryer and cover and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. This will result in a juicier chicken. **You can leave the chicken in the air fryer with no power for 10 minutes or you can place a piece of parchment or foil over the top to allow the chicken to rest.
- Cut the string from the chicken before serving.
- Carve the chicken into pieces and serve.