This Chicken Tortilla Casserole is an easy meal that is flavor packed. This Tex-Mex dish is filled with tender chicken, black beans, corn and zesty diced tomatoes. Layered with tortilla chips and melted cheese. It's a crowd-pleasing favorite that delivers a fiesta of flavors in every bite.
This delicious chicken casserole is easy to make using simple ingredients and does not use any condensed soups. This is one of those comfort food meals that everyone will love!
On busy weeknights casseroles are a great option for getting dinner on the table. Another Mexican-inspired casserole to try is this Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
This is one of those recipes that is great to make when you want something a little different and need to change up your usual rotation of meals. It feels like a special meal but it is quick to make when you use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. Your whole family will love it!
Simple ingredients come together to make a delicious cheesy Tex-Mex dish that is perfect for family dinners, potlucks or any occasion.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Chicken - This recipe uses cooked chicken breasts cubed.
- Black Beans - Can of black beans rinsed and drained.
- Corn - You can use canned, drained or thawed frozen corn.
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies - Rotel or any brand of diced tomatoes with green chilies will work.
- Sour Cream - I prefer full-fat sour cream but you can also use light sour cream.
- Cream Cheese - I like to use the full-fat cream cheese softened at room temperature.
- Mexican Blend Cheese - I recommend shredding your own cheese as it melts more smoothly than pre-shredded cheese.
- Taco Seasoning - Use your favorite store-bought taco seasoning packet or homemade taco seasoning.
- Tortilla Chips - You will need 3 to 4 cups of crushed tortilla chips. Thicker tortilla chips work best in this recipe.
Casserole Substitutions and Additions
- If you don't have diced tomatoes with green chilies you can use salsa instead.
- Add in more vegetables such as bell peppers, onions or black olives.
- For a spicy casserole you can use hot and spicy taco seasoning, Pepper Jack cheese and add some diced jalapeños.
- You can use cooked chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. To save time you can also use store-bought rotisserie chicken shredded or cubed.
- If you don't have cream cheese, you could use ricotta or mascarpone cheese.
- Corn chips can be used in place of tortilla chips.
- Greek yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream.
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Make Filing: In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes with green chilies, sour cream, cream cheese, 1 cup of the shredded Mexican blend cheese, and taco seasoning. Stir until well combined.
Assemble Layers: Spread a layer of tortilla chips at the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Pour half of the chicken mixture evenly over the layer of tortilla chips, spread out with the back of the spoon.
Add another layer of tortilla chips on top of the chicken mixture.
Pour the remaining chicken mixture over the second layer of tortilla chips, spreading it evenly.
Sprinkle the remaining tortilla chips and cheese over the top.
Bake and Serve: Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through. Allow the casserole to sit for 5 to10 minutes after it comes out of the oven before serving.
Serve with some fresh toppings like sliced avocados, fresh chopped cilantro, parsley, diced tomatoes and a squeeze of lime.
How To Store & Reheat
To Store: Before storing allow the casserole to cool completely. Once cooled place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat In the Oven: I recommend reheating leftovers in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the casserole in an oven-safe dish and cover with aluminum foil then bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until heated through. Cook time may vary depending on the portion size you are reheating. If you want the top to be a little crispy, remove the foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking.
Reheat In the Microwave: Single servings can also be reheated in the microwave but it may make the tortilla chips soft.
Reheating Tip: Sometimes the casserole gets a little dry after being refrigerated. You can add a small amount of chicken broth or water to add moisture.
Freezing Chicken Tortilla Casserole
How To Freeze: This casserole can be frozen for up to 2 months. Be sure to use a freezer-safe container. When you're ready to eat it, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and then reheat it in the oven or microwave.
Freezing Tip: When you freeze this casserole the texture of the tortilla chips may change. They can become softer and lose their crunch. One way around this is to leave the tortilla chips out. You can make the casserole filling and freeze it. Then when ready to eat the casserole, thaw the filling in the refrigerator and assemble by adding bottom layer of tortilla chips to baking dish and then the filling and keep layering per directions.
Casserole Recipe Tips
- Thoroughly rinsing and draining the black beans is important so don't skip this step. The excess liquid can make the casserole soggy.
- Soften the cream cheese to room temperature so it blends well with the other ingredients. This helps to avoid any lumps.
- Use thicker tortilla chips as they hold up better to moisture and are less likely to get soggy.
- This casserole is baked uncovered but if it's browning too quickly, you can cover with foil for the remaining baking time.
Yes! You can make the filling ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight. The next day when you are ready to bake it just follow the directions to assemble the layers and bake in the oven as directed.
Yes you can. Try it with Nacho cheese flavored Doritos, Spicy Nacho or Salsa Verde Flavored. Corn chips is another option that you could use in place of tortilla chips.
More Easy Casserole Recipes To Try
- Chicken And Noodle Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole With Ground Beef
- Easy Taco Casserole
- Hamburger Potato Casserole
I hope you enjoy this easy chicken tortilla casserole! If you try this recipe, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups cooked and cubed, chicken
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn (canned, drained or thawed from frozen)
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- 10 ounce bag tortilla chips, 3-4 cups crushed chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes with green chilies, sour cream, cream cheese, 1 cup of the shredded Mexican blend cheese, and taco seasoning. Stir until well combined.
- Spread a layer of tortilla chips at the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Pour half of the chicken mixture evenly over the layer of tortilla chips, spread out with the back of the spoon.
- Add another layer of tortilla chips on top of the chicken mixture.
- Pour the remaining chicken mixture over the second layer of tortilla chips, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining tortilla chips and cheese over the top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
- Allow the casserole to sit for 5 to10 minutes after it comes out of the oven before serving.