These Nutella Banana Muffins feature a light and crumbly banana-filled batter topped with a delicious swirl of chocolate hazelnut spread. And these muffins couldn’t be easier to make!
You’re going to love the delicious combination of flavors in these light and fluffy muffins! And they are made with just a handful of simple ingredients. That means they are super simple to make!
These quick and easy muffins are basically delicious banana muffins with a Nutella swirl around the top. They are kid-friendly and will quickly become a family favorite!
Banana muffins are always a popular breakfast treat. But these take the flavor up a notch with a little bit of hazelnut spread.
The flavor combination of bananas and Nutella tastes amazing. Whip up a batch of these muffins on Sunday to have for a quick grab-and-go breakfast during the week.
There is nothing better than warm homemade muffins. We love to have them for breakfast along side this Meaty Breakfast Casserole with some fresh fruit.
These muffins make a great after-school snack. Kids love anything with Nutella.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- Bananas - You will need 3 medium ripe bananas mashed. Soft ripe bananas are easier to mash and add more flavor and moisture to the muffins.
- Vegetable oil - I usually use vegetable oil but you could substitute with canola oil or any neutral flavored oil.
- Flour - Use all-purpose flour to make these muffins.
- Brown Sugar - You can use light or dark brown sugar.
- Eggs - Two large eggs at room temperature. Take them out of the refrigerator about 15 to 20 minutes before you need to use them.
- Vanilla Extract - Use pure vanilla extract for best flavor.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder - Acts as leavening agent and helps the muffins rise and provides a light texture.
- Salt - Helps to enhance and balance the flavors.
- Nutella - Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread.
How To Make Nutella Banana Muffins
Start by combining the mashed bananas with the vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Stir the ingredients together until combined. There’s no need to use a hand mixer or stand mixer to prepare this recipe!
Next add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the bowl with the banana mixture. Stir the dry ingredients into the batter until it’s just combined. Be careful not to over-mix the batter or it will become dense and chewy as it bakes.
Grease a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or add liners to each cup, then fill every cup in the muffin pan full of batter.
Add one to two teaspoons of Nutella to the top the batter. To create a swirl pattern on your muffins, use a butter knife or wooden skewer to swirl the Nutella into the batter. Just two or three quick swirls is all that’s needed to mix the Nutella into the top of your muffins.
Once the Nutella is added to the top of your banana muffins, place the pan in the oven to bake for 18 to 22 minutes. The muffins are finished baking when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for around five minutes – until the muffins are safe to touch. After that, you can transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
How To Store Muffins
Store: I love these muffins warm out of the oven. But if you have leftovers you can store them for up to 3 days at room temperature. Make sure to completely cool the muffins, then transfer them to an airtight container. Add a paper towel to absorb any extra moisture. Store them in a cool, dry place to keep them fresh longer.
Freeze: You can also freeze these muffins. Allow the baked muffins to cool completely. Place the muffins on a baking sheet or large plate in the freezer. When the muffins are completely frozen, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and transfer them to a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Muffin Baking Tips
- Don't add extra Nutella to the batter or the muffins may end up underbaked in the middle.
- To make the Nutella easier to swirl into the batter microwave it for 15 seconds.
- A fork or potato masher works great to mash the bananas.
- Use overripe bananas for the best flavor and sweetness.
- Accurately measure the flour by spooning it into a dry measuring cup and then leveling off the excess with the smooth edge of a butter knife.
Allow muffins to completely cool then place in a single layer in an airtight container that is lined with paper towels to absurd any extra moisture.
I recommend using either all-purpose flour or pastry flour. All-purpose flour is the most popular flour for everyday baking. Pastry flour produces a more delicate lighter muffin.
You need to grease the muffin cups by spraying with nonstick cooking spray or line the muffin cups with muffin liners.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes To Try
- Peach Muffins
- Pineapple Coconut Muffins
- Cranberry Banana Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins
- Easy Strawberry Muffins
I hope you enjoy this Nutella Banana Muffin recipe! If you try it, please come back and rate it and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from you!
Nutella Banana Muffins Recipe
- 3 medium overripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together the mashed bananas, vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the bowl with the banana mixture. Stir the ingredients together until just combined, making sure not to overmix.
- Fill each muffin cup full of batter.
- Scoop1 to 2 teaspoons of Nutella onto the top of each cup and use a knife or wooden skewer to swirl the Nutella into the batter.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 18 to 22 minutes. When the muffins are done baking, them to cool in the pan for around five minutes, until they are safe to touch. Then transfer the muffins to a wire cooling rack to cool completely