This delicious Apple Walnut Bread is made with fresh apples and chopped walnuts and is perfect for breakfast or a midday snack. Shredded apples keep the cake moist, while the walnuts add an exciting crunch that you’ll love.
My apple walnut bread is a quick bread recipe that is perfect for beginner bakers. Just combine the ingredients and in less than an hour you’ll have warm apple bread cooling on the kitchen counter.
This bread is perfect for any time of year, but we especially love it on a crisp fall mornings. There is nothing better than warm bread fresh out of the oven. Plus your house will smell amazing while it's baking.
Why You Will Love This Apple Walnut Bread
- It’s quick - It only takes 15 minutes to combine the ingredients, and then it’s into the oven it goes!
- The versatility - This recipe can be served for breakfast or as a snack. It’s delicious as is, but the flavors are over the top when you warm a slice and smear it with butter or cream cheese.
- The moistness - This apple bread has fresh apples that are shredded to make sure you have juicy apple flavor infused into every bite.
This apple bread has a texture like cake or muffins. It's moist and delicious and is a favorite to make as soon as apple season arrives.
This apple walnut bread is perfect served as is with your morning cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk. I love it with this copycat Starbuck Caramel Apple Spice.
This bread is a wonderful choice to serve with breakfast or brunch. I like to serve it with this Meaty Breakfast Casserole.
See printable recipe card below for all ingredients, specific measurements, and complete instructions.
- All-purpose flour - Flour gives the bread its structure.
- Baking powder - Baking powder ensures that the bread rises.
- Salt - To bring out all the flavors.
- Butter- Adds moistness to the apple bread.
- Sugar - To sweeten the bread and balance the tartness of the apples.
- Eggs - This helps the bread hold its structure and adds moistness.
- Buttermilk - Tangy buttermilk gives the bread a unique flavor and keeps it moist.
- Vanilla extract - Adds an extra layer of flavor to the bread.
- Apples - 4 medium apples will be peeled and shredded to create the moistness and flavor that this bread is known for.
- Walnuts - Chopped walnuts add texture to the apple bread.
Recommended Tools. Here are a few kitchen items that come in handy when making this recipe. (Affiliate links).
How To Make Apple Walnut Bread
This is a quick bread recipe so it is made without yeast which saves time. This recipes uses simple ingredients and requires just 15 minutes of prep time to get this bread ready to go in the oven!
To get started preheat the oven and grease your loaf pan. Then whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
In another bowl use an electric mixer to beat the butter until creamy. Then add the sugar and cream the butter and sugar together until combined.
Next add the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract and blend well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually, mixing until everything is combined.
Gently fold in the 0shredded apples and chopped walnuts. Once combined the batter is ready to for the loaf pan.
Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan. Batter is thick so use a spatula to evenly spread the batter in pan. Top the bread with remaining walnuts. Bake for 50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
How To Store Bread
Store: You can store the apple walnut bread in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Freeze: The apple walnut bread can be frozen for up to two months. Wrap it in plastic wrap and then store it in a freezer bag with the air removed. When defrosting, thaw the bread on the counter for one hour.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can substitute ¼ cup of milk and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes before adding it to the batter.
- Let your butter and eggs come to room temperature before you begin cooking so they’ll be easier to incorporate into the batter.
- The batter will be very thick. This is ok!
- If your bread starts to brown too quickly you can loosely cover it with a piece of aluminum foil over the top.
Substitutions and Variations
- Make this recipe into apple walnut muffins by dividing the batter among 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
- You can substitute the walnut for pecans if you prefer.
- Try this recipe with pears for a different twist!
- To add more fall flavors, add apple pie spice or even just a dash of cinnamon to the batter.
- Make your apple walnut bread sweeter by creating a simple glaze with water and powdered sugar! Whisk powdered sugar into water until it is as sweet as you want and it is your preferred texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use any firm apple for this recipe. We love Pink Lady, Fuji, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp or Braeburn.
Yes, you can add in raisins, chocolate chips, cinnamon baking chips or caramel chips.
If you need more apple recipes to make here are a few of our favorites.
I just know you'll love this delightful Apple Walnut Bread. Whether you're a novice baker or an experienced one, this quick bread recipe is a breeze to make, and in no time, you'll be savoring warm apple bread – a treat that's perfect for any season!
If you try it, be sure to come back here to rate the recipe and leave a comment.
Apple Walnut Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups peeled, shredded apples (about 4 medium apples)
- 1¼ cups chopped walnuts, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy for about 30seconds. Add the sugar and mix until combined.
- Then mix in the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until everything is combined.
- Fold in the shredded apples and 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Top the bread off with ¼ cup walnuts.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a baking rack and let it cool for 1 hour before serving.